Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
Mercedes W124
23,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1989 2600E has a slight flare changing between 3rd and 4th gear.
It will sort of slip for one second before going into fourth gear.
This only happens when the engine is cold and just once when I set off from being parked for a few days.
It's changes are perfect after that.
Would a transmission oil, filter and gasket change help, or is it beyond that.
That's all I'm capable of doing myself.
It's done 130,000 miles.

·
Registered
92 400E, 95 S500,91 300TE practically stole it, 97 V10 Ford E350 to tow them home from time to time
4,492 Posts
Way past time my freind.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Start with the fluid and filter change. Make sure to use Dex III. Any brand is fine. Standard blue bottle Valvoline Dex III at walley world is great -- $3.69/qt.
After that, and ONLY after that, should you move onto other items.

·
Registered
1990 W124 300CE-24
243 Posts
My 1989 2600E has a slight flare changing between 3rd and 4th gear.

My wife's started doing this (btwn same gears as yours) and an automatic service helped heaps - for 18 months; now it's badly flaring, in fact so bad that it's almost unavoidable. Poured a bottle of Stop Slip in and that did SFA.
So what we do is use the box as a semi auto - manual change from third to fourth and no slipping. Will keep it up until it is rooted completely (which could be years).

·
Registered
92 400E, 95 S500,91 300TE practically stole it, 97 V10 Ford E350 to tow them home from time to time
4,492 Posts
When you change the fluid don't forget to drain the torque converter.

·
Registered
94 E320 Estate
63 Posts
i'm not here to discipline you,just want to give a bit more info.

one of the most common problems with transmissions,is people remember engine oil but forget to change the trans fluid at the proper interval(usually accompanied with the filter and pan gasket but sometimes the front and rear seal,if draining the TQ too,since these are easy to get to at this point and also maybe changing the seal on any outer electrical connection and then re-checking for any leaks after a while). the problem with changing the fluid long after you were supposed to and the fluid is already a dark brown(instead of red),is that IF the clutch plates(and bands) materials are already very weak,putting in brand new trans fluid with it's new,fresh and harsh detergents could possibly cause this weakened material to suddenly fail(disintegrate). for this reason,IF the fluid specifically looks dark and nasty(not some shade of red,even dark red or light brown),i would probably only change about half of the fluid(change what's in the trans but don't drain the TQ).

i don't want to diagnose what's happening because it's been a very long time since i've rebuilt a MB transmission and i also forget exactly what's applied on 3rd to 4th plus,i don't consider myself much of a mechanic any more but i will say that imo slip additives are usually a waste of money(and temporary anyway) and changing the trans fluid has the same affect(better actually). it could be(more of an issue when cold) a hardened seal(on the piston in the drum,...new fluid might help here but temporary and the rest of the seals aren't far away). less likely,since you say it doesn't happen when warm,is clutch pack clearance(in your case from wear,since this is not a rebuild) or a worn band. it could be something else entirely though.

i doubt it's the trans fluid being low,as this would have more affect at take off,not just/specifically 3rd to 4th,..same thing with a clogged filter. you didn't specify if any service has been done before but if not,you are long past a service so changing the fluid and filter would be the easiest route at this point and see what happens.

what does the fluid look like? there'a alot that you can tell from the fluid,..even from it's smell.

·
Banned
Mercedes W124
23,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful advice.
Here's my excuse.
I was told by the previous owner the transmission had been rebuilt a number of years ago.
Even so I should still have changed the transmission oil when I bought the car.
My use of the car hasn't helped. It only gets driven twelve kilometers a week usually.
I go to the shopping center Thursdays and Sundays which is 3kms away.
It just sits the rest of the time.
I try to be patient and let the engine warm up before driving, the day it slipped I didn't.
I take it to a well respected mercedes mechanic and asked about changing the transmission oil, and he looked at it, rubbed a drop between his finger and thumb, and smelt it, he asked me if I'd noticed any problems, I hadn't, he then said it doesn't need it, that was in April.
I ran my 1976 passat for over 15 years and 500,000km without changing the transmission oil, and had fords GM's and Chryslers which have never had a problem.
You get lulled into a false sense of security with auto trans because they are usually a reliable part of the car.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Not changing the oil is a false sense of security....Change the oil every 30k.
If there is an internal problem already, leaving bad oil in is like putting a dirty bandage on a wound. Its keeping it at bay now, but its still shit on the inside and shit on the outside and it's gonna be really bad soon enough.

·
Banned
Mercedes W124
23,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not changing the oil is a false sense of security....Change the oil every 30k.
If there is an internal problem already, leaving bad oil in is like putting a dirty bandage on a wound. Its keeping it at bay now, but its still shit on the inside and shit on the outside and it's gonna be really bad soon enough.
It will be changed this week along with the filter etc.
The transmission oil looks and smells new, like it just came out of the container.
Ok I drive only 2000 miles a year, maybe ten years is to long, would every five years be better.
I've had the car nearly three years and have done 5000 miles.

I love this little car and want to keep it.
I'll do what's necessary to keep it on the road.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you check my previous post history you'll see that I had transmission problems. It started with the wifes 400E not changing up- or being a bit 'fluffy' when changing. I adjusted the T handle to firmer shifts and this helped.
Then I found the fluid was way overfilled by previous owner. I emptied alot.

This didn't help. I took out the valve body and checked the K1 spring and found it had already had the upgrade. I then put in 'type F' fluid as an interim reccomendation to get this thing sorted. However the new fluid was enough to push the transmission over the edge.

The car wouldn't even shift out of third now and it would continually slip while the fluid churning would cause the torque converter radiator to over heat and then cause the actual engine to run hot by conducting the heat to the engine coolant radiator.

I bit the bullet got the tranny professionally rebuilt- he said that some monkey had been in there already and left bearings out and rebuilt the thing incorrectly.
I checked my Carfax report and found at some point in the past some ignorant soul took that merc to an AAMCO.

It's now all back together. The car feels like a different car, it actually feels fast and kicks down. My only complaint is that it when starting off it doesn't change up until 3-4000 rpm initially. Later on it changes up at about 2500-3000 rpm which still seems a little high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts