Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon, 2002 S430
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand spanking new to this car as of today. 95 E320 Wagon with 175k on it. I hate to appear an idiot but all I have worked on are Saabs, and the usual Japanese suspects, and I can't seem to figure out with certainty where the ATF drain plug is on this car. Any help would be appreciated. Is it the allen head bolt I have labeled in the picture or is it on the other side of the pan and not visible in the picture? Thanks in advance. Also, does anyone know where the sticky is on draining the transmission fluid on this vehicle?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Yes, it is the allen bolt, for the pan. You also have to drain the fluid from the torque converter, which requires turning the engine until the drain bolt shows up in the window in the bell housing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is the allen bolt, for the pan. You also have to drain the fluid from the torque converter, which requires turning the engine until the drain bolt shows up in the window in the bell housing.
Does anyone have a picture of the said bell housing window? I am a BIG fan of pictures and plan on posting plenty when I do procedures like this and do instructable type write-ups on things that have not been posted here yet. Although I have to say what I have found thus far is indeed very helpful. This seems to be a pretty smart group of folks, at least those that post and contribute on a regular basis. Comforting to know one is in good company. Anyhow, all of your help is appreciated. Like many of you, me and my family (wife and 4 children + vasectomy last month) are pretty limited on funds at the present, especially in light of an autoimmune condition that has nearly crippled me in this past year and put me out of full time work consequently. So, that being said, having a resource like this is invaluable to me and my family. And even if the funds were available, I am a big believer in DIY and would venture to do most of the maintenance myself.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
No, don't have a picture of it, but it looks like a sort of grate, just in front of the trans. pan. But the bolt won't be in the window - you've got to turn the engine over slowly, either by bumping the starter or turning the 27mm? bolt on the crank pulley, until it shows up. It's nice have an assistant.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, don't have a picture of it, but it looks like a sort of grate, just in front of the trans. pan. But the bolt won't be in the window - you've got to turn the engine over slowly, either by bumping the starter or turning the 27mm? bolt on the crank pulley, until it shows up. It's nice have an assistant.
I believe this is what you are referring to? Yes,no?

Attachments

• 104.3 KB Views: 3,606

·
Registered
94 E320 Sportline sedan 86 190E 2.3 16V sedan 04 S430 Sport
678 Posts
Soundquest, based off your pictures, and the wetness of your undercarriage you need to check on your headgasket leaking. (this is a known issue with the M104 engine) It leaks oil normally toward the rear cylinders and runs down the side of the engine and causes all that wonderful mess. The leak is not "critical" but worth getting fixed as some point. I just had mine done recently and the whole head refreshed while she was apart... no more oil leaks and she runs great. Just a thought.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soundquest, based off your pictures, and the wetness of your undercarriage you need to check on your headgasket leaking. (this is a known issue with the M104 engine) It leaks oil normally toward the rear cylinders and runs down the side of the engine and causes all that wonderful mess. The leak is not "critical" but worth getting fixed as some point. I just had mine done recently and the whole head refreshed while she was apart... no more oil leaks and she runs great. Just a thought.
There is a nice slow and steady leak coming from two places on this vehicle (according to the Mercedes mechanic I had do the buyer's inspection). The first is coming from the front main seal and the other is coming from the oil pan gasket. But as far as the head gasket goes, it appears the previous owner had it replaced because there is no oil whatsoever coming out around the head gasket which is a relief.

Anyone ever replaced the front main seal on this car? I have looked and can't find a write up on the procedure so would appreciate any help on this. Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,454 Posts
Yes, you've found the torque converter drain plug access point. The drain plug is much like the one on the pan. It's round with a 5 or 6 mm hex hole. If you want to be 100% teutonic, buy a new copper gasket for the plug before removing it.
When I did the trans drain/fill on my 88 TE a few months ago, I got about 7 quarts from it (pan and converter).
BTW, it seems that your trans has been rebuilt. Benz didn't paint their converters that lovely shade of blue.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, you've found the torque converter drain plug access point. The drain plug is much like the one on the pan. It's round with a 5 or 6 mm hex hole. If you want to be 100% teutonic, buy a new copper gasket for the plug before removing it.
When I did the trans drain/fill on my 88 TE a few months ago, I got about 7 quarts from it (pan and converter).
BTW, it seems that your trans has been rebuilt. Benz didn't paint their converters that lovely shade of blue.
Wow, a rebuilt transmission, bonus. It seems very solid and robust for this high of mileage at 175,000; the only thing is the 2/3 flare and a bit of 3/4 flare as well. But other than that, very solid and smooth. Probably on account that it has been rebuilt. Never had any problems with reverse or any other gears. Hopefully (and more than likely), the plastic stock infamous B2 piston was replaced with an all metal one when it was rebuilt.

·
Registered
2006 B200
3 Posts
Does anybody know how to access the Torque Converter bolts on a b200 transmission. can't seem to find access to them. I need to remove the transmission and this is the only hold up. Anybody know where access to them on the bell housing? Top? Bottom? If you could email the info maybe pics to [email protected] that would be great. Thats L O O 1 and not L zero zero 1....

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,662 Posts
Does anybody know how to access the Torque Converter bolts on a b200 transmission. can't seem to find access to them. I need to remove the transmission and this is the only hold up. Anybody know where access to them on the bell housing? Top? Bottom? If you could email the info maybe pics to [email protected] that would be great. Thats L O O 1 and not L zero zero 1....
Welcome to Benzworld..

You'll do yourself a great favor by completing your profile and telling us what car you own. You've hijacked a thread that's several years old. Not familiar with a b200 transmission. This forum is for W124 E Class models from 1986-1995.

Good Luck

Jayare

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
Welcome to Benzworld..

You'll do yourself a great favor by completing your profile and telling us what car you own. You've hijacked a thread that's several years old. Not familiar with a b200 transmission. This forum is for W124 E Class models from 1986-1995.

Good Luck

Jayare
Actually Jim, most of the rest of the world had the 124 from 1985 to 1996 and
this is an International forum.

I was in Germany for the factory tour and while on the road had seen many 1985 124's

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
Except the transmission model number. There is no B200 trans in a Benz.

722.3 or 722.4 in 124 cars. Post your VIN and I'll get your trans # in case
you need to order parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts