Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to change the transmission fluid and filter in my 1980 300D, but before I do, I need some kind of confirmation. My transmission dipstick is about 28" long, and the lower and upper markings are about 1.5" and 2" from the bottom. However, ever since I've had the car the fluid level was always been somewhere around 6" from the bottom of the dipstick. It was out of range like that ever since I got it, and I just left it that way, as there wasn't any frothing of the fluid or shifting problems.

When I change the fluid, I'd like to keep it down in it's proper range between the markings, but I'm afraid to do so. My dipstick is different in that it doesn't have the flip-lever; you just pull it out, like the oil dipstick. So, I just need to know if my dipstick's markings are at the same level as the original dipstick. If anyone can confirm the above measurements with a similar year/model car, I would be most grateful!

Also, is there anything wrong with me filling the fluid up above the upper marking, like it has always been?

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
If there is nothing wrong with the transmition I would recomend that you don't change the ...

If there is nothing wrong with the transmition I would recomend that you don't change the filter and fluid. Many times these older cars have old fluid in them that is not as slippery as new stuff. When you proceed to put new fluid in, you could make things worse. In this instance I go with the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Having said that - Yes, that is the normal tranny dip stick. Most likely the reason why it's above the marks is because your suppost to warm up the tranny to "highway" temperatures and then check the fluid while the car is running. Doing it when the car is shut down will make it appear as if there is too much fluid.

If you do decide to change it, you have to make sure that you do NOT overfill the trans. This can cause severe problems. You want the fluid level to be in between the two marks, as close to the top mark as possible without going over it. Don't forget you fill throught the dipstick tube.

Again, I would recomend that if there is nothing wrong with the trans, then don't change the fluid and filter.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have been having some shift problems just recently. . . . .

I decided I'm going to change the fluid and filter because I don't know when it was last done with the previous owner, the fluid at the end of the dipstick looks bad, and for the past few days I've been having shifting problems, like slipping/grinding. I think the vacuum system is alright because I recently overhauled the vacuum pump, and the vacuum levels checked out ok.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Okay - in that situation, I would do the same. Try doing what I said in the last response ...

Okay - in that situation, I would do the same. Try doing what I said in the last response and see what the ATF level is like.

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
It might be worth while draining the torque converter at the same time....

It might be worth while draining the torque converter at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.