Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im assuming that a 99 c230k is part of the line up of MB without a tranny dipstick? If so im going to need that special tool that only mercedes has and is going to charge me and arm and leg to check the fluid level lol?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I don't know about your model, but other people have bought those from dealers and if I recall correctly, they don't cost that much. You didn't say why you need one, but if you are going to change your ATF you'd better have one in the tool box.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want to check my tranny fluid level

Is there another way of doing this? without being so time consuming of having to go all the way down to mercedes and get it done. Im not changing the ATF, just detected a small leak in the tranny pan which i suspect may be from a weathered gasket, and want to see if im nearing getting low. Just precaution

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Get a metre of this type of old style curtain wire from your hardware store--$1 -- measurements are accurate for hot measurement (at least 5 miles running)

Can't get pics to upload at the moment --later !!!

Oberoi

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Some type of dipstick is the only way I know of. Hopefully oberoi will have an answer for you soon. If I was in your situation, I'd be using precaution too. Good luck with your leak.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Get a metre of this type of old style curtain wire from your hardware store--$1 -- measurements are accurate for hot measurement (at least 5 miles running)

Can't get pics to upload at the moment --later !!!

Oberoi
Hey Oberoi! How you been? I bet it must be frustrating posting the same pics over and over again!

Chong188 just do a search on transmissions or tranny oil change etc. and you will find oberois pictures!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
dipstick on ebay for about $25... worth having anyway. I bought one for the same reason. small leak and worry about level. now I know I am ok and can fix the leak when I get time, rather than rush and get it done for top $

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
$75 at the dealer. I just bought one from El Paso Tool off of eBay for like $24 shipped. Looks just like the unit from the dealer. Have not used it yet though.

Remember two things - you need to buy some of those one-time use dipstick tube caps from MB or online and you need to make sure your transmission fluid temperature is 80 C when taking the measurement. This is very important and MB trannies are very sensitive to overfilling.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i have a question about this and i cant seem to get an answer so hopefully someone here can help me. i have a 2000 C230 and i bought the tranny dipstick from el paso tools on ebay and i am wondering something about it. i have read that you push it into the tube and continue to push it in until it stops. is this correct ? i am wondering if you push it into the tranny that far , is there anything in there that is moving or anything? it seems that if you "bottom it out" in the tranny , then you could do damage to something inside the tranny. what do you all think ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
once again, Oberoi is the man , and quite possibly the most important/helpful person on this forum. i dont want to speak for him, or to add anymore work for him, but i am telling everyone now--if you are new here-- OBEROI IS THE ONE YOU WANT TO ASK FOR ADVICE__ he is great-- thanks to all who help reply to posts--good day

1 - 13 of 13 Posts