Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
If you don't already have dimensions, I can take some from my car tomorrow as the trans is exposed.

I assume the 560 transmission is the same as the 420.

I'm also going to assume the transmissions are the same for NA and Euro cars, as mine has provisions for a left-hand starter.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes-Benz W126 280 SE
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you don't already have dimensions, I can take some from my car tomorrow as the trans is exposed.

I assume the 560 transmission is the same as the 420.

I'm also going to assume the transmissions are the same for NA and Euro cars, as mine has provisions for a left-hand starter.
i've heard that the boxes do vary in size a bit, but the main difference is in the bellhousing. can anyone confirm this?

and i spose it wouldn't hurt to get a rough idea, so if you could measure the length (bellhousing included), the height and the width of your box i'd appreciate it.

why did you pull your box out anyway?

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
I'm rebuilding the my engine, piston rings exempt, and had to remove it to replace the front input seal on the transmission and the lower oil pan gasket on the engine.

The lenth of the transmission is about 30", from what I can see; I can't really get under the car as I have alot of parts stuffed under there. This is an estimate from what I can measure holding a measuring tape from the front of the bell housing.

The cross-sectional width of the bell housing from starter recess to starter recess is 18", and the height of the bell housing taking the mounting hole locations into account is 15".

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,452 Posts
and cheers for those measurements Prodigy! ;-)
If work goes as planned, I'll be home later this coming week. I have an '87 560SEC transmission sitting on the floor and can take any/all measurements/photos you need once I get home. Please let me know if you need anything by then.

Mike R.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,452 Posts
it's all good now Mike.. thanx anyway! ;-)
You're welcome. Luck of the draw, the guys at work changed their mind and I'm stuck in Atlanta anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts