Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
1980 Mercedes-Benz 300cd; 1969 Volkswagen Beetle; 1981 Porsche 911SC Targa
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1980 300cd 170,000 miles 722.118 auto trans

Last week something transmission related in my Benz decides to stop working. My car was in Park in my driveway running, I was recharging the AC with R134a. As soon as I get done and am ready to close the hood I hear a very loud noise from seemingly underneath the car. It did not sound metallic, but more like rubber? Flapping? It was very loud and I cut the car off immediately. I crank again to see if it鈥檚 still happening and it is. I make a quick video and turn it off. My dad comes over to inspect, I go to crank the car and now the battery is dead. We unhook and clean the grounding cable which works. Crank again noise is loud but goes away on its on. Well now when I put the car in Drive it does not engage and will not move. The shifter rod underneath is selecting gears but the car will not move. Battery could be of no correlation just including because that鈥檚 what happened. The day prior to this I made an uncharacteristically long 130mi round trip to a neighboring state to pick up a bottle of Weller, and I had recently used engine degreaser to clean the engine compartment, added some injector cleaner and filled up the tank with diesel, also washed and waxed the car right before all this happened 馃槀
Anybody have anything like this happen? I guess the transmission could be shot, I just found it weird that this all happened while the car was in Park. Up until this nothing weird with the transmission has happen aside from the occasional hard shift into 2nd gear. Vacuum is good and flexplate is in tact and doesn鈥檛 really fit diagnosis of b2 piston woes. Any insight appreciated. I uploaded the quick video of the noise

Registered
W123 300CD, W123 300TD, W202 C250D Turbo
Something is flapping as you say - even in park it's pumping oil around the trans so something could have let loose inside whilst idling. Whilst not ideal, better it happen in your driveway then halfway through your round trip .....

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I certainly appreciate it having the decency to all unfold in the comfort of my own driveway

Registered
Anybody have anything like this happen?
Two 300CDs and a combined 450k miles or so and my answer is, "No."

Since you seem to be placing emphasis on the transmission:
1. Have you checked the level of the transmission fluid? If so, what was the result?
2. When was the last time that transmission service was performed?

Following the event you explain, have you gotten under the vehicle and carefully inspected everything? If so, what was the result?

Have you had any problems or unexpected occurrences with the transmission? Is the transmission original?

Has anything unusual happened with the vehicle over the last several months or so (assuming that you drive it with some frequency)?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the first thing I did was check transmission fluid and levels were good, there was also no fluid leaking as far as I could tell. We have been under the car and so far nothing looks messed up, as far as service l鈥檇 have to check my records in the car, I think it has been at least 2 years but certainly less than 50,000 miles. I do drive the car 2-4 days a week now, but up until a year ago it was my full time daily. Nothing odd has happened in the last several months. The next thing we are going to check is the torque converter. I believe the transmission is original, and it could be toast, no one in my area rebuilds them at all so if it does end up being that I think my best bet is likely going to be getting a rebuilt one from dieselgiant.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts