Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 e320 Wagon
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went through all the post here and decided to replace my electrical connector that was leaking transmission fluid(2002 E320 Wagon). Put the front of the car up on a ramp, took off the heat shield, removed the part (had a bunch of fluid come out), now I can't get the screw to go in on the new part, I've been out in my garage for over four hours trying to figure out why the new part won't go in. Has anyone run into this problem or have any suggestions on how to get the part to go back in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I went through all the post here and decided to replace my electrical connector that was leaking transmission fluid(2002 E320 Wagon). Put the front of the car up on a ramp, took off the heat shield, removed the part (had a bunch of fluid come out), now I can't get the screw to go in on the new part, I've been out in my garage for over four hours trying to figure out why the new part won't go in. Has anyone run into this problem or have any suggestions on how to get the part to go back in.

Thanks.
There's about four recent threads on this.

First things first, though, please click user cp and add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's useful information.

The connector/adapter/spacer/pilot bushing must be properly aligned before it can be seated fully. Until it is seated fully, you can't start the screw.

Remove it and clean things up, be sure you haven't bent any of the pins on the connection coming out of the transmission, then examine it closely to the old one. Make sure the little notches and the like are the same. Then put the old one back in to test fit it (it will go in easier) and then remove and align the new one just like you had the old one. Be sure you wipe some fluid on the outer o-rings so it can slide all the way in, too. When you have it properly aligned and all the pins through it, you just need to push it more firmly.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz E320 4matic
44 Posts
Before doing anything else... Please review my thread, and hope that you don't do what I did:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1559347-pilot-bushing-trans-electrical-connector-now.html

NEXT: review G-AMG's thread on how to align it and look at his awesome pics:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1474216-photo-diy-722-6-conductor-plate.html

OR this guys does a great write up on another site:
Trans O-Ring Repair

In short, you have to make sure you align the bushing perfectly. Put the lock tab down and compare to pictures you see above. It's down at about a 7 o'clock position. If you gently rotate it you will feel when it sinks in just a bit. Using a mirror and flash light like G-AMG did would have saved me $700. Anyhow, you must put quite a bit of pressure to push it in and get the o-rings to compress before it will let the 7mm bolt engage. It is CRUCIAL that you only put 2.5nm of torque on it or it will strip and you are then replacing the entire conductor plate like I had to do. Another good idea is to use electrical cleaner (sold at auto store) and spray down the plug in well and hit it with some air in a can, then wipe it down with paper towels well. You will likely get fluid on it and inside the bushing. Just be careful if you try to wipe down the inside of the bushing. The pins stick up in there and are damaged easily... heh. ALSO, do not run the car until you check the trans fluid level. Search how to either make a dipstick and measure or buy one. I put back how much I "thought" I lost and was still 3/4 low. Don't risk it by guessing like I did.

It's much easier to start the bolt with a 7mm socket on a straight 6" handle, or flexible one like G-AMG uses.

AGAIN, just be careful, the cost for messing it up is not fun. If you get it in and you find you are stuck in 2nd gear (limp mode).... read my thread link above. You're in for some fun my friend.

·
Registered
2002 e320 Wagon
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I think it's lined up and the o-rings are in and it's no longer falling out when i pull my socket out, but the screw does not seem to be grabbing.

So I have two questions, the first being the part is not suppose to go in further than the second o-ring? Could there be a problem with the fact that the screw on the new part is very slightly shorter than the screw on the part being replaced?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz E320 4matic
44 Posts
So I think it's lined up and the o-rings are in and it's no longer falling out when i pull my socket out, but the screw does not seem to be grabbing.

So I have two questions, the first being the part is not suppose to go in further than the second o-ring? Could there be a problem with the fact that the screw on the new part is very slightly shorter than the screw on the part being replaced?

Thanks.
No the screw is the right length. I thought that too at first. What you want to do is put a small piece of paper towel and smoosh it into the 7mm socket. This will keep the pressure on the bolt. If you're using a socket that is too deep (most 7mm will be), then the bolt will just push in when you try to put pressure on it and it won't engage. Try it by playing with the "spacer" you make and then pushing on the bolt from the side that goes into the trans.

The second o-ring will be just visible when it's pushed in enough. So I do think the screw pushing back is your issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts