Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do a search on this because I think it's a problem I've seen before, but I could not find what I was looking for. My '04 S430 (7-speed) has started making a noticeable "clunk" when it downshifts at low speeds (coming into the driveway, slowing for a speed bump). I think it's the 3-2 downshift, but it may be 2-1. It feels like there is lash in the driveshaft, but that may be the normal play. Any experience with this? I noticed it the first time yesterday; nothing has changed that I know. No other shifting problems, it clicks off upshifts and forced and normal downshifts just like always. The car has 57k miles. thanks for your help fellas.

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
The 2-1 clunk is a known issue with the 7-speed. I just had my 06 E500 in forthe same problem. They replaced the valve body under warranty. I ended up taking it back 3 weeks later because it was still doing the same and the 4-5 shift had gotten ugly. After that trip, the 4-5 shift was corrected and the 2-1 was much improved, but not fixed completely. I will take it back for try #3when I need other service.

Some report that the valve body replacement corrects the problem and others not so much, as in my case.

If your car is not under warranty, I suggest you drive in Comfort mode which eiminates 1st gear. The part alone I hear is about $3500.

I tried to do a search on this because I think it's a problem I've seen before, but I could not find what I was looking for. My '04 S430 (7-speed) has started making a noticeable "clunk" when it downshifts at low speeds (coming into the driveway, slowing for a speed bump). I think it's the 3-2 downshift, but it may be 2-1. It feels like there is lash in the driveshaft, but that may be the normal play. Any experience with this? I noticed it the first time yesterday; nothing has changed that I know. No other shifting problems, it clicks off upshifts and forced and normal downshifts just like always. The car has 57k miles. thanks for your help fellas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts