Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced the throttle cable (adjuster broken) I'm also replacing my trans. cable (adjuster broken). I've searched but cannot find procedures or write-ups on how to R&R the cable. Can anybody steer me in the right direction? I read somewhere that the tans has to be out of the car?????????????
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,103 Posts
Here's the procedure,

and here's hte adjustment for M103...

I note it says, on the model 201 (thats a 190E), it says the transmission must be removed, but on the 124 you just need to drop the transmission oil pan.

the replacements come with the 2-vacuum connection version, you cap off the extra port if your car doesn't use it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the procedure,

and here's hte adjustment for M103...

I note it says, on the model 201 (thats a 190E), it says the transmission must be removed, but on the 124 you just need to drop the transmission oil pan.

the replacements come with the 2-vacuum connection version, you cap off the extra port if your car doesn't use it.
Thank you very much. I have the new gasket, I will be tackling this today. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
Tomas7, what year and model vehicle are you working on? I ask because the procedures that LeftCoastGeek link to show a part that I've never seen before.
I'm most familiar with 1986-1991 124s and the transmission pressure cable assembly doesn't have any vacuum portion. Nor do you have to drop the transmission pan to remove or install the cable. Disconnecting the transmission rear support and lowering the tailshaft would sure make it easier to do the job.
I just swapped the cable assembly from a cooked transmission to a rebuilt unit on my 91 coupe last week. I should have installed a new cable at that time because the white plastic adjuster has deteriorated for sure. It isn't broken but I'm sure that applying a little pressure on it (while changing the engine oil filter, e.g.) would cause it to snap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry, I have a 1991 300E. I see how dropping the support would make things easier. I am also replacing that support as well. I haven't had a chance to crawl in there yet.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
As far as I know a 91 300E does not have a transmission cable anything like the one that LeftCoastGeek linked to. I'll be at my garage later today and take some pics of what you're up against. It's definitely tricky to disengage the cable lower housing from the transmission case. And if the transmission has never been out there's an ell-shaped bracket and clip under one of the bellhousing bolts. That clip holds the cable in place. Best bet is to remove the oil filter to see what I'm talking about. More later.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw where it clips unto the right (passenger's side) of the trans., right above the pan. The one in there now has a yellow connector. The new cable that I have has a black connector.

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,103 Posts
the key is, per Mercedes, the new replacement parts have extra vacuum ports, and you need to cap off all the ports your vehicle doesn't need. They used to have seperate parts for the different variants.

I think my 1990 has one vacuum line, this is for the 'shift retard' when cold, that delays upshifts for the first minute or two of running, idea being it warms up the engine faster, so the cat works better. I notice it every day I fire up my car cold, head out of my driveway, and cruise down the grade I live on, it revs way higher in 2nd than it needs to. by the time I'm at the bottom of the mile or so hill, its back to normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts