Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1968 gto (sold) , 91 volvo 740, 89 $300TE, 89 560SEC
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the t/v cable seal on my 300te. I've seen some say that it can be done without removing the pan. Others report that the pan and valve body must be removed.
All say to "un-clip" the cable housing from the transmission housing. My question is this: Are there any specifics to disengaging the cable from the trans. housing?? I've found that un-clipping 20+ year old plastic parts typically results in part replacement if great care is not taken. Any help would be most appreciated, as I would rather not buy a new cable.........

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
825 Posts
Patience is the key.

I have lucked it out once replacing a cable and not removing the pan.
Other times I have just removed the pan.

If you haven't seen how to disengage the plastic housing "on the bench" it maybe very difficult to work out the mechanics of removal and replacement.

The housing and the clip are pretty thick plastic and since it seems to be a little "oily" down in that area I haven't seen a dry brittle one as yet.

I use a pair of long bent nosed pliers and a screw driver.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info... If I get a chance today; i'll put her on a lift and see what I can do.

·
Registered
W124 1994 E420 M119.975
384 Posts
removal and installation

Ivan, not really lookig forward to this but I am having to replace the bowden/kickdown cable as I am about to reinstall the engine also. Do you have any diy suggestions? I have never done this, I am assuming the easiest way as you said is to remove the trans. pan. Any special tools needed? I have purchased the part from Autohaus new. I've never even dropped the pan before, and will be working from the ground as I have no lift available.. Any suggestions or pictures step by steps would be greatly appreciated. Figure while Im in there I'll go ahead and change the trans filter and gasket as well...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Ivan, not really lookig forward to this but I am having to replace the bowden/kickdown cable as I am about to reinstall the engine also. Do you have any diy suggestions? I have never done this, I am assuming the easiest way as you said is to remove the trans. pan. Any special tools needed? I have purchased the part from Autohaus new. I've never even dropped the pan before, and will be working from the ground as I have no lift available.. Any suggestions or pictures step by steps would be greatly appreciated. Figure while Im in there I'll go ahead and change the trans filter and gasket as well...
I have a gearbox on the bench in the workshop.

I will take some images and post them up.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I didn't get a chance to fool with it today.

Ivan- If you could post a closeup pic of the cable end where it attaches
to the trans I would truly appreciate it.

Dollarbenz- I plan on taking it loose from the throttle linkage and hopefully
that will give me enough slack to disengage the lower end.
My situation is that this is the one external seal on the unit that I
didn't replace when I had the powertrain out (it didn't come in on
time and wasn't leaking when I pulled it:mad:).

Remove the breather. Disengage the cable from the throttle linkage and
the retaining bracket. Down low remove the trans drain plug (5mm iirc).
It seems like there are 6 13mm bolts holding the pan on (low retorque).
Filter on mine was held on by phillips head machine screws. Un-clipping
cable from the trans housing is what I'm trying to figure out........

·
Registered
825 Posts
Images
Here's the cable at the transmission end

Note the clip. Use a pair of pliers to remove (sorry about the poxy image)

Compress the clip and turn the whole body to this position

Lift the whole body straight up. You will find this

Here's the cable separated from the pin that goes down into the transmission

·
Registered
825 Posts
Here's the pin extended from the transmission.

When you want to connect the cable to the pin from the transmission you need to push the throttle end of the cable so that the little catch extends from the tranny end. Adjust the cable so as much of the end comes out as possible

With the tranny on the bench it's a matter of fishing the hook of the pin onto the catch on the cable.

Once you have hooked the cable on then it's a matter of pushing the cable body back into the hole and turning the body so it clips in. The cable must be adjusted after re install back on the car

This can be done underneath the car. It takes a lot of patience. There is not much room.
If you are prone to short temper or heart attacks get some one else to do it.
I gaffer tape the throttle end of the cable so that the catch stays extended from the transmission end. (only if I'm doing this under the car.

While doing these images. I had the cable on and off at least half a dozen times - easy on the bench.

Don't get the pin and catch around the wrong way - it can be done.
Your blood pressure will arise substantially if you do this incorrectly - especially when doing it with the transmission in situ.

·
Registered
W124 1994 E420 M119.975
384 Posts
thankyou so much for the pictures and informational tutorial on this, this will help me to visualize this process before I start.. Mine seems to be slightly different as it is an E420 with the vacuum module, but think I can figure it out..
thanks again, Austin:bowdown:

·
Registered
825 Posts
thankyou so much for the pictures and informational tutorial on this, this will help me to visualize this process before I start.. Mine seems to be slightly different as it is an E420 with the vacuum module, but think I can figure it out..
thanks again, Austin:bowdown:
The vacuum module is on the other side of the transmission.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah I see now! Many thanks for the pics, esp. #1 and #3. I'm going to swap it out tomorrow, hopefully without a trip to the dealer or salvage yard for a cable.

Thanks!!

John

·
Registered
1983 W126 280S, 1988 W124 300CE, 1991 W124 E300, 1995 W124 E200
218 Posts
I am also trying to find the correct part number for my Bowden cable.
Mine came with one Vacuum in 300CE 1988 with Tranny: 722.358 0 3292732

How can i figure out the correct part number for my cable and where to purchase it from ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts