Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 81' 240d is doing bad right now. Previously it was only slipping when cold, so I would wait a couple minutes for it to warm than it would be okay (i did have a post before, I did some work to it but it got better on its own?). Anyways, I made a few trips to the mountains the past few weekends. On the highway at the 65 mph speed limit (how i drive :) ) with 4 people the temp gauge would go up to the line before the overheat line, i think it is 100*C, i thought it might be a little too hot so I turned on the heat and it cooled slightly. On the way back from the mountains it started slipping while accelerating and trying to go up hills and a little while trying to maintain speed, the rpms would go higher at some times but if I would touch the gas pedal lightly, it would kind of catch. So I parked and let it cool then continued the drive, it was running cooler and slipping less, and finally it would maintain speed on the highway like normal. later when I got off the highway (temp okay, still a little high) it started slipping even under light acceleration. the transmission fluid is new looking and pink (and I was told it was new upon purchase of the car, 3k miles ago). I couldn't get an accurate reading of the level but it has fluid up the dipstick. when i bought the car it already had the vacuum lines messed with, there is a screw in two of the vacuum lines. I'd like to get all of that straight eventually, especially if it is causing the problems. i hope someone could help, i'm continuing my searching and reading. thanks, zach

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
I converted mine to a manual about seven years ago - best thing I ever did to the car. It is a bolt in operation, but you need to makesure you have all the parts to swap it out.

Len
'83 240D 345,000 miles original owner

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what are all of the parts? I would probably plan on having a manual drive parts car available to me. i imagine I would need: flywheel, clutch disc,pressure plate, clutch release bearing,transmission, shifter, shift linkage, clutch pedal assembly, and drive shaft? Am I missing anything?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts