Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E500
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, there. I just got 85 300D the car looks excellent and the engine runs great but, my trany has issues. First and second gear are jerky but 3rd and 4th no issues?? I took the car to AAMCO and they said leaking oil at front and at the back where the pump is? Need to open and fix minimum $1300 max $1850. First is AAMCO any good for Benz trany and also any suggestions as to what’s wrong. I love this car!!!!! I want to fix it but the right way
Thank you
[?]

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
AAMCO has quite a "reputation" and it is not good. There may be honest and competant owner...

AAMCO has quite a "reputation" and it is not good. There may be honest and competant owners of some individual shops.

The first thing to do with a Mercedes trans is change the fluid and filter. How often do you have to add fluid? Many do drip some slowly and need to have the fluid monitered just as some cars need the motor oil checked on a schedule.

On the later Mercedes transmission I drain the fluid out the drainplug. Much will be left in the trans.
Drive and do it again severel times, often over a period of days, then drop the pan and change the filter. There is also a vacuum modulator adjustment.
But do not try that until the fluid is clean and filter new. If trans fluid is really bad and thier is trash in the pan, you may want to change the filter again after 30 days.

I have been told the 85 has to have an 85 trans if it needs to be replaced unlike other 123 series. The trans is around $100 at pick and pulls. I use an old scissor transmission jack made in the USA. Harbor Frieght knocks it off for a little over $50.

We have changed severel Mercedes transmission and have repaired quite a few with just clean fluid and filter, and sometimes a vaucuum adjustment.

I would go to a real Independent Mercedes Shop rather then AAMCO. A good way to find one is ask local MBCA
people if there is an active chapter.

With AAMCO it usually has to "come apart", and you get the news when it is disasembled.

The good news is once you get it working OK. Regular fluid filter changes will allow it to likely last a long time.
John Gregg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.