Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 ML320
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this morning on my way to get coffee (and didn't make it I may add) the ml let out a fairly loud bang and I was unable to put it into park or any other gear. I can feel the transmission going into gear but the truck won't move. When I put the truck in drive and shift back to park with foot on the brake it makes the clicking sound like it would if u threw a vehicle into park while still moving. Iwas thinking it's probably transfer case but any other ideas woul be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,877 Posts
Hi guys, this morning on my way to get coffee (and didn't make it I may add) the ml let out a fairly loud bang and I was unable to put it into park or any other gear. I can feel the transmission going into gear but the truck won't move. When I put the truck in drive and shift back to park with foot on the brake it makes the clicking sound like it would if u threw a vehicle into park while still moving. Iwas thinking it's probably transfer case but any other ideas woul be greatly appreciated
It certainly sounds like a transfer case. Start calling salvage yards to get a price.

·
Registered
98 ML320
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I figured that but was hoping it could have been something else. I ll check around the first of the week and see how many millions this is going to cost me. Have u ever rebuilt one of these? Would u happen to have an r& I?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,877 Posts
Thanks, I figured that but was hoping it could have been something else. I ll check around the first of the week and see how many millions this is going to cost me. Have u ever rebuilt one of these? Would u happen to have an r& I?
No I have not. I can't give you a price of what it would cost in the UK, but used it cost around $350 or so in my neck of the woods.

I don't think a DIY rebuilding is a good idea, as there would be too many special tools involved. Another alternative is to find a transmission re-builder who will sell you one on a give and take basis.

·
Registered
98 ML320
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think shipping from the uk to Canada wouldn't be cost effective anyway :). Thanks a million for the info, greatly appreciated. The shop next door to mine is actually a tranny shop but I think if a used one is only around 350 in the states that will be the way to go.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,799 Posts
Before you order a transfer case. Drop the transmission pan. That is the exact noise
mine mad when it blew the transmission. Inspect the bits if any in the bottom pan.
You will know of the transmission is good or bad at that point. If you have a trans shop
right next door then you have some help there as far the diagnosis.

Has the fluid in either the transfer case or the transmission ever been changed?

·
Registered
98 ML320
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both the transmission fluid and transfer case fluids have been changed ( transmission about a year ago and transfer case about 2 months ago). The transmission has been shifting good and the fluid looked good when I changed it but I will definitely take a look. Thanks for the suggestion

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,799 Posts
I would hate to see put in a transfer case and then start it up, put in drive and still be
in one spot while the transmission makes evil noises.

Here is to hoping it is the TC and you can back on the road for a lot less than a good transmission job.

·
Registered
98 ML320
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news! This morning I finally got a chance to have a look at the ml, after draining the tc and transmission and not seeing any signs of damage or anything wrong I decided to have a look at the front an rear diffs. I noticed a fairly loud grind in the front end while spinning the wheels and while getting ready to drain the front diff I noticed the drivers front axel wasn't seated all the way, took a pry bar and give it a good shove and the axel clicked into place and all seems well now. I still decided to order a new snap ring and will put it in this week. Anyone have any ideas as to what would cause that axel to back out? I was thinking having the torsion bars turned up all the way might do it ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts