Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
TC motor or module or both?

What would be a reasonable price for parts and labor for replacing Transfer Case Motor or so ?? 02 G500

I noticed your title says module but your question says motor.

These are two different things.

The motor is a lot easier to get to. It can actually be replaced in less than an hour. The module takes a little more work, maybe 2 hours to remove the center console between the front seats, then perform adaptation for the new module.

So depending on your mechanic or dealer, I would say get ready to be charged an hour for TC motor replacement and 2 hours for TC module replacement.

TC motor costs $590 from Vlad at Mercedes G-Class, G-Wagon, G500, G55 AMG, Parts and Accessories.. It used to cost $419 about 6 months ago when I ordered mine. The price just shot up recently
Mercedes G-Class Transfer Case Motor 2002-2011.

TC module costs somewhere around $300-$400. I can't find it 4x4club now for some reason but I'm sure you can email Vlad to get the exact details.

·
Registered
2002 G500
130 Posts
I noticed your title says module but your question says motor.

These are two different things.

The motor is a lot easier to get to. It can actually be replaced in less than an hour. The module takes a little more work, maybe 2 hours to remove the center console between the front seats, then perform adaptation for the new module.

So depending on your mechanic or dealer, I would say get ready to be charged an hour for TC motor replacement and 2 hours for TC module replacement.

TC motor costs $590 from Vlad at Mercedes G-Class, G-Wagon, G500, G55 AMG, Parts and Accessories.. It used to cost $419 about 6 months ago when I ordered mine. The price just shot up recently
Mercedes G-Class Transfer Case Motor 2002-2011.

TC module costs somewhere around $300-$400. I can't find it 4x4club now for some reason but I'm sure you can email Vlad to get the exact details.

Just to revive this thread, as I'm going through it. The TC motor is $789 now, and the module is $545. A bit more at my dealer, that price was from online. 4b4...

I'm attempting to find some information on precisely where and how to get at these parts, not just 'take the dash apart' if possible.

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Just to revive this thread, as I'm going through it. The TC motor is $789 now, and the module is $545. A bit more at my dealer, that price was from online. 4b4...

I'm attempting to find some information on precisely where and how to get at these parts, not just 'take the dash apart' if possible.

This link should help you. My post links to another link which you can use to guide you. It's what I used. Benzworld does not allow a hyper link to the other site so just follow my link.

Transfer Case blank on Instrument Cluster - MBWorld.org Forums

·
Registered
2002 G500
130 Posts
This link should help you. My post links to another link which you can use to guide you. It's what I used. Benzworld does not allow a hyper link to the other site so just follow my link.

Transfer Case blank on Instrument Cluster - MBWorld.org Forums

Definitely went through that post, a great one. I'm just trying to find out if there are any hidden surprises when taking apart the armrest. There's a picture of the location of the module in the G500 Intro To Service PDF I purchases from 4b4... And the Transfer Case motor underneath the vehicle looks pretty straightforward. Beats the almost $600 the Dealer wants to do the job, and this doesn't seem that bad. Chime in if you think I'm making a mistake! haha.... Anyway, thank you kindly for taking the time to reply.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Definitely went through that post, a great one. I'm just trying to find out if there are any hidden surprises when taking apart the armrest. There's a picture of the location of the module in the G500 Intro To Service PDF I purchases from 4b4... And the Transfer Case motor underneath the vehicle looks pretty straightforward. Beats the almost $600 the Dealer wants to do the job, and this doesn't seem that bad. Chime in if you think I'm making a mistake! haha.... Anyway, thank you kindly for taking the time to reply.

That's exactly how it looks in there.

The only thing I would say to look out for are all the plugs going in and out of the modules in there. When unplugging anything or pulling on anything try to pull from the plug itself and not from the wires. Depending on the age of your G, these wires and plugs do get brittle and don't like being moved around too much. (Possible source of electrical gremlins).

With regards to the TC motor, it's not so much the motor going bad than the gears/pinion getting stripped.

Good luck on the undertaking. It's not as difficult as it looks or sounds.

·
Registered
2002 G500
130 Posts
That just may be the motivation I need to do this. I know it's got to be changed out so why not just do them both.
Module first, then motor. Looking at $1500-ish on parts.

Now, the module is going to come already 'updated' with the new software, and there's no 'updating' that I will need to do at the Dealer correct? Just plug-n-play on this one I'm hoping ??

UPDATE:

I actually just read in a document it will need to reprogrammed by the STAR system...

·
Registered
2002 G500
130 Posts
another view of the TC control module area...

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts