Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Change the fluid when the car is cold, as you will be working right between the exhaust.

Raise the car as you would to change the trans fluid. I used ramps for the front and jacked the back up to level out the car.

Just behind the transmission mount is a sheet metal shield that protects the flex disc. Remove the two screws with a 8mm wrench.

You will now see a fill plug screw to the left. Insert a 6mm hex socket bit to remove. I used a 1/2" drive ratchet, as it was very tight. Only a few drops of fluid will come out, so no pan is really needed.

Since there is no drain plug, I used a brake vacuum bleeder to get the fluid out. Using a 1/4" hose pushed down in the fill hole as far as possible, start sucking the fluid out. I was only able to get less than half a liter out.

My fluid had 100K miles and it was very dark. In my opinion, it definitely needed a change.

Now attach a fill tube to the new bottle of the ATF of your choice. I used the latest 236.14 spec fluid. I also used a 1/2" OD x 3/8" ID hose. It fit perfectly in the fill hole. Fill until it flows out the hole and insert the hex fill plug with a new washer.

Install the sheet metal shield, clean up and you're done.

I didn't notice any difference in driving the car, but felt good changing it after seeing the condition of the fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
'01 MB E280 4Matic
21 Posts
Nice writeup, very good pictures.

How much fluid did you get back in? How much do you think you where not able to get out?

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, this was on the E430. I removed just under half a liter and was able to add the same. I believe the capacity is one liter. Today I repeated the process after driving 50 miles. The fluid wasn't as dirty looking & I now have an additional amount of clean fluid.

The ML is easier, as that has both a drain & fill plug. This allows a full drain and you can add all new fluid.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
99 e320 4matic wagon
6 Posts
Hi. I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add a few observations in case it helps anyone else. The fluid change on the wagon is much more difficult. The exhaust brackets between the 2 separate exhausts, and the vibration damper need to be removed. See the thread at Transfer Case WIS & Torque Specs?. As stated, the vibration damper is very difficult to remove-- especially the upper right bolt. I had difficulty getting a 3/8" 13mm socket and universal joint to fit because the propshaft donut is in the way. Perhaps a 13mm socket with a built in universal would fit better. It was helpful to turn the propshaft to line the flatter part of the donut (really a hexagon) with the upper right bolt. Installation was easier with a 1/4" socket and universal. The upper left bolt is accessible with a box-end wrench. I was only able to get about 1/2 the fluid out with a tube and pump-- curious if anyone has a better solution.

·
Registered
118 Posts
call me crazy but I threw that tough bolt right out by accident. re installed damper without problems with remainder of bolts.

more like a 'top off' for the TC with our w210s, mine was low by a half quart

·
Registered
99 e320 4matic wagon
6 Posts
I realized that in my above post I flipped right and left. e320forme, the vibration damper is pretty heavy. Curious how it will do long term missing a bolt. I don't blame you though, I briefly considered not reinstalling the damper. Better yet I will get a nice impact grade universal before I recheck the level again in ~3 yrs and top it off. I put a lot of antiseize on the bolts. My TC was short about 220mL after 5 years.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Timeless,

Here is something up your alley:

My Understanding is this fluid in the transfer case is not ATF, but the fluid resembles Mercedes power steering fluid. My owners manual for that other fluid which is MORE viscus than ATF, but not the same as differential fluid. I was able to get it Napa Auto(The exact stuff).

Martin

·
Registered
2000 w210 E430 4matic (lpg) + 1980 w123 230 (gasoline)
114 Posts
The MB spec for this fluid is actually 236.10 not 236.14. Both are called ATF though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts