Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 ml430 130000k
backing up last week and a loud braking noise come from under truck, drove home and it was shifting fine, took it to a friend's shop he drove it for a week and said it shifted perfect. now it dont do anything, it will slowly slip into r or drive
but have to have high RPM. but only for the first min or so after it starts to get warm it does nothing. at an idel it sound like the chain is rattling in the x-fer case
any ideas?

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Sounds like you have multiple things going on here:

1. Loud noise: I've occasionally had this happen when I wash the car or leave it in the garage for a week. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong though. I should also note that this is not the transmission but the brakes. (This just happened to someone else here about a week ago, do a search.)

2. High RPM: ML's take a minute to "warm up" where upshifts are delayed. Do a search, this is common too.

3. Transfer case: I've got intelligent nothing to say here.

Disclaimer: Of course, I'm just parroting back common topics I've experienced/ read here. Maybe this is totally different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st post not very clear

after i backed up i when i started to hear a chain type rattling noise from under the truck at idle. and it's still there now in park at idle.

as far as high rpm, the truck will not move or very little, when placed in r or d there is no eveidence of it dropping into gear but if you raise the idel it will drop slowly. but only for the first min. after it starts to warm up it wont move at all.

after i posted the first msg, I checked the fluid, it's not red but not brown/black, it appears to be grey as if water or somthing is in there. i seen something like this before at my buddies garage when he rebuids blown motors and water get into the oil pan.

as we speak he is looking for a good tranny guy for my truck, he really dont want to touch it, not that he does not know, he builds motors and trannys for race cars but this is no 500 - 600 hp w a muncie

thanks for any ideas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts