Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1997 320E
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oneoar is back after a heart attack break.
Things I have done. Changed the trans fluid and filter with mb products.
Tried to reset it several times. Ihad the CHECK ENGINE ELECTRONICS
LITE UP MY DASH. I changed the Transmission adapter on the front of
the trans because it was leaking. That got rid of my CHECK ENGINE ELECTRONICS MESSAGE. Now I have no messages but the car still won't
shift. Are there other things I can change or do? I want to thank you all for everything so far and hope you have more info.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
How many miles are on your car and have you ever had the transmission fluid/filter changed?

Since you edited your post, I'll add something too. That might be that you are just in "limp mode". Are you getting any error messages from the car? Also, it might help someone here if you had the codes read with an OBD2 scanner. Most auto parts places will do that for no charge. If you don't want to drive it, maybe they will accept a deposit and loan you one for a couple of hours(?)

I can't be of much help, but I think the several knowledgeable members on this forum will ask at least some of these same questions.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1997 320E
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a code 700 (Trans System Control Malfunction) and a Code 730 (Gear Ratio Incorrect)
I erased the codes and only the 730 came back. I went for ride it still did not shift. Check the codes when I returned and got none. Strange

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
If you haven't already I would try the reboot procedure. Although if you have spilled something in the console that would also account for it. I trust you did not do all that work just for this issue.:)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1997 320E
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reboot

Disconect the battery. You will need the radio code, and you will have to reset (syncronize the windows, sunroof and maybe the seat memory.
Thank You very much I sure hope it works. Down here the speed limit is 35mph so I can go in first gear but I dont really want to.
Thanks Charlie

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
One cable is sufficient. The negative lead attaches behind the small plastic cover at the base of the rear seat (right side, near the middle of the car). Remove the nut with a 13mm socket and bend the lead away from the stud.

·
Registered
91 560SEL(RIP),98 E320matic 230k baby!,98 C230,93 500Ehurt,Rover crawler,97 Vulcan,01 R1,02suzukiTLR
55 Posts
After removing the neg lead then step on the brakes for 45 seconds to a minute and you will reset the car.

·
Registered
1997 320E
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oneoar here again. I changed the Transmission fluid and filter. It goes in reverse and drive fine but will not shift out of first gear. I have a 730 code on odb reader which is Gear ratio incorrect. on the dash it says Check engine electronics. How can this all happen changiong the plugs wires and air sensor? Looking for help
Charlie

·
Registered
1996 Mercedes-Benz S500
721 Posts
i have this same problem with my 96 s500!!! except i already bought a new transmission and took it out like atleast 4 times.... because the first transmission they sent me didnt work.....yeah did this work? ill probobly try it myself now but still if you find out more about this can you please tell me how to fix it and all!!!!

thing about my car was i didnt get any codes. except for secondary air induction malfunction or something like that. but yeah this problems killing me!!!

·
Registered
1997 320E
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As soon as I figure it out I will let you know. We have no dealers here on the island so I have to figure it out.
Charli

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
As soon as I figure it out I will let you know. We have no dealers here on the island so I have to figure it out.
Charli
Then you may have a problem, since I think 'limp mode' can only be cleared with the MB Star diagnostic software. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
1997 320E
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought limp mode was where the car ran about 5 or 10 mph and you could not accelerate. I could be in big trouble. I saw the ad I can buy a Star for 5800 euro.
That be the case I will deep six this one and move on.
Thanks
Charlie

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I thought limp mode was where the car ran about 5 or 10 mph and you could not accelerate.
I don't know how fast you can drive in limp mode but I think it's a little faster than that, like 20-25. I don't ever remember reading if the car shifts out of 1st or not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts