Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,055 Posts
Roger to both you.
I'm able & willing to do the "OCD" 3x MAINLY cause I get fluid affordably.

Plus, I'll add the Mopar ATF+4 actually meets 236.10 spec, meaning its higher Viscocity than the later slipperier LV 236.12 or .14.

The dealers can scream 'backwards compatible' all they want but I think they're reducing their stocking requirements, mainly.

Btw, to verify my #s just go view the viscocity / fluid spec for Shell 3343 on the web & compare to the ATF+4 for any of the 40+ companies who make it - they're the same.

MB was kinda cagey as they never listed physical specs (that I could find) for the MB 236.10 fluid - but the Shell 3343 is / was on the Bevo MB list and so those #s are the spec to compare too.

Also it's worth noting that Chrysler Mopar Fluid division (smart guys) license this formula so its made worldwide by 40 manufacturers like Valvoline, Castrol,, etc thus you can get ATF+4 for your Mercedes Benz (or Dodge, Jag, Jeep, Porsche for that matter) at nearly any Auto parts store anywhere.

Compare that 'ease & affordability' factor to the difficulty of getting 'official' MB or Shell 3343 or Shell 134 etc ATF etc AND paying shipping on heavy fluids, I think it's a major advantage.

It takes a bit of thinking "out of the box" on this issue but valid if you check the web references & logic.

I used to mix polishes & was trained to read chemical viscocity specifications to insure proper formulations.

So when I re-entered the "MB universe" and heard the "fluid wars" I though this is silly just look up the precise fluid specs...

Cheers- David in Texas

·
Registered
99 ML320
28 Posts
Whatever they do or don't do at the dealership....they quoted me $900.00 ! And I do, did just drain and refill..and a filter and gasket and the cheap bolts....and I do plan on doing so every 20k or so......But I'm Not taking chances with off brand Tranny Fluid!....Not on the 722.9.........( no wonder there are so many tranny failures and junk used MB"s..You can piss in your's for all I care)

·
Registered
99 ML320
28 Posts
Cheap junk Chinese bootleg parts, contaminated pharmaceuticals, questionable food products.. they put anything in those bottles and send em' to us dumb Americans., via Scamazon...anything to make a buck these days....I even wonder if it's "genuine" from the dealership..........
To tell you the truth , I come from the generation that thought changing tranny fluid was "bad Luck"! And would surely cause tranny failure, and I never even considered tranny fluid untill I got into servicing my kid's 2013 ML350 . I couldn't bear to see em' pay $400.00 and $500.00 for A and B service (oil changes).....and $900.00 for a tranny fluid [email protected]#!%#!!! - and they say it with a straight face!!!!!!! I do have to say, I wouldn't even own an MB if I didn't have the ability to work on it myself.......anyway, we all just try and do our best..............

·
Registered
96 E320
196 Posts
If anyone's worried about getting all the fluid changed, then just do a flush as described here:

Nothing is "perfect" but this comes pretty close. :) I think @yumling talked about this method here a long time ago...

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,713 Posts
I don't understand why Daimler took out the drain plug to the torque converter - were people turning the engine the wrong way and screwing up the timing chain? My 1986 300E had one, my 1996 SL500 had one. When I got a factory rebuilt transmission for the SL, with T/C, they had welded the plug shut. Which means you have 4 qts of old fluid that you can't drain.

I skipped forward on the above video so I might be missing something, but I take it he is doing this again after 1 month to try and get rid of more old fluid?

The only thing I disagree with him is not replacing that electrical connector. My shop guy said replacing that - about $12 - is SOP with each fluid and filter change. He said his is "dry" although old; what will it be like in 20,000 miles and what damage can that cause?

Not changing that is penny wise and pound foolish.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,729 Posts
I don't understand why Daimler took out the drain plug to the torque converter - were people turning the engine the wrong way and screwing up the timing chain? My 1986 300E had one, my 1996 SL500 had one. When I got a factory rebuilt transmission for the SL, with T/C, they had welded the plug shut. Which means you have 4 qts of old fluid that you can't drain.

I skipped forward on the above video so I might be missing something, but I take it he is doing this again after 1 month to try and get rid of more old fluid?

The only thing I disagree with him is not replacing that electrical connector. My shop guy said replacing that - about $12 - is SOP with each fluid and filter change. He said his is "dry" although old; what will it be like in 20,000 miles and what damage can that cause?

Not changing that is penny wise and pound foolish.
I don't change mine with every fluid change. It's not the money for me. I do check for leaks when I'm down there, which is at a minimum twice a year.

My reasons for not changing?

1) There is small possibility that you can strip the conductor plate or bend a pin (yes, I know what I'm doing).

2) Sometimes it is very difficult to seat the socket even though its a Genuine MB part and O-ring is lubricated.

3) This is a very easy job on a W210, but can be very frustrating and difficult on certain other models. On a W208, you will need hands the size of a toddler.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,479 Posts
Back in early 1990's MB had the idea of "sealed for life" transmissions. At the time expected life of the cars in Europe was about 7 years, when not too many exceed 200k km.
What come as a surprize, W210s start lasting for over 20 years and 1/2 million km and "sealed for life" idea did not count for it.
The idea changed with 7G transmission, who all have TC drain, but still early 7G had single ATF change at 40k miles and then never more.
It took 7G + transmission, who come with finer filter and has ATF change intervals.
When lot of buyers of W210, buying it with certain age and mileage bash the ideas - I think it that was good schedule for original owners.
Coming to changing pilot bushing- it is orings that you have to worry about and they will deteriorate at about 10 years of age.
So if you service transmission and your bushing is 2-3 years old, you should be fine leaving it, but once over 7 years - I would replace it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts