Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (AKA family Ski Sled)
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this car for 3 years. Last year i did a drain and fill on the transmission and I have changed the cooler hoses but thats it.

To the best of my knowledge it has not been serviced. I already bought the kit from FCP and plan on doing this tomorrow night.

Couple of questions

• is there any reason to not just measure the fluid instead of messing around with IR temp guns, jacks etc?
  • when I turn the motor to get to the Torque converter, what direction do I turn?
  • This is a stupid question and Ill keep searching, but how do you fill it?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,479 Posts
2000 might not have TC plug, but turn the engine the same direction it is running. Turning back might mess timing chain.
It is always good idea to measure drain fluid, for head start on refilling, but you still should confirm correct level of ATF on hot transmission.
You fill it via dipstick tube.
My experience is that those transmissions can drip ATF for long time, so after dropping the pan, I leave it overnight.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did some more reading

Should I replace or check that connector?

Was I reading it correctly that my 2000 does not have a torqu converter? Roughly how much fluid should I be draining?

·
Registered
36,479 Posts
Pilot bushing is recommended to replace at each transmission service.
Pan drop and overnight drip usually collects close to 1 gallon of ATF.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, overnight drip aint happening..... I may be able to fit in a 2-3 hour drip.

When you say pilot bushing, you mean this?

I wish FCP would have included it in the kit. But i just checked with the auto part store and they can have one in the morning.

This is the kit I got

·
Registered
36,479 Posts
The gizmo generated about a dozen of names for it, but EPC lists it as pilot bushing, what might be result of lost translation.
Don't buy aftermarket. I believe OE is made in Czech Republic.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,055 Posts
Good idea to service that box. We have the same wagon.

The infamous 'pilot bushing' - aka 13 pin Trans electrical connector - keep in mind the prior owner may have changed it so don't assume it's original. Pretty good chance it's been changed.

I just keep an eye on mine, on both Benzes. A quick glance at that spot, even just peeking at the corner under the 'heat shield' if totally dry of oil seep, it's good.

Any oil seep, inspect & most likely change immediately.

On the w163, it just began to seep and I swapped it out. Not too bad of a job. We had to wedge a block of 2x4" against it & pry a little with a crowbar. Be sure to grease the O-rings well. It is just an awkward angle to put the required amount of pressure on it to get it top pop into place.

I used a mechanic mirror to make sure of proper pin alignment.

On the fluid drop I try to do a 'total 12 quart & new filter every other year' and a 'single 4 quart drop every year'.

I do measure what comes out, so I know how to bring back to correct level.

I don't mess with the Torque Converter as I do the 'fill and replace' and do that 3x (one of those is 'pan off filter replace). By using this method you end up with like 90% new fluid anyhow.

FYI, I'm using Mopar Chrysler Spec 'ATF+4' as it's a Full Synthetic that meets the 236.10 Mercedes spec, as the Benz 722.6 tranny was also used across the 'Damlier-Chrysler' family.

(I had to read fluid spec charts to discover this - but it's a perfect match for all the physical fluid properties)

They hid this info as MB didn't want folks getting Dodge Chrysler fluid for $5 a quart when MB was asking $20 ish sometimes.

Chrylser called it the NAG 1 or 5A330 in your car or the 5A580 (latter # being Torque # capacity of box)

Ergo, I buy the 5 gallon Pail of the Oreillys Auto house brand ATF+4 and that way both our rigs get regular fluid changes without breaking the budget.

Hope some of this is of help !

Keep that wagon going - it's a classic !

David in Texas

·
Registered
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2002 E430
13 Posts
I'm getting ready to do the same type service on the E430. With a pan drop, are we saying 4 qts. after 12-24 hours? Is that what others are seeing? Base E430 has a total fill of 9.1 qts. and the 4matic has 7.9 qts per the Amsoil chart.
Here is the ATF fluid drain/refill replacement ratio calculator on the above figures with the base tranny:
1. 43.96%
2. 68.59%
3. 82.40%
4. 90.13%
5. 94.47%
6. 96.90%
7. 98.26%
8. 99.03%
9. 99.45%
10. 99.69%

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,729 Posts
Your 2000 has a torque converter, but NO drain plug.

Check the connector for leaks by flipping the lever down and pulling the plug out. Don't look for sign of seepage. It will be too late then and fluid will be seeping up the wiring harness.

Make sure you have the measuring dipstick! Getting the correct fluid level is important.

·
Registered
W220, W210 x2, R170
193 Posts
I change the fluid and filter (pull the pan) every 60,000 miles. I let drain overnight most times.
2001 E320 bought with 45k, now has 205k.
2002 E320 bought with 60k, now has 190k.

Both have original transmissions. YMMV

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I m not pulling the trans pan three times.

I think I will do a drain and fill, then drop the pan the next day.

After that, Fuck it. I only paid $3200 for the car and ive put 50k miles LOL

·
Registered
99 ML320
28 Posts
I'm getting ready to do the same type service on the E430. With a pan drop, are we saying 4 qts. after 12-24 hours? Is that what others are seeing? Base E430 has a total fill of 9.1 qts. and the 4matic has 7.9 qts per the Amsoil chart.
Here is the ATF fluid drain/refill replacement ratio calculator on the above figures with the base tranny:
1. 43.96%
2. 68.59%
3. 82.40%
4. 90.13%
5. 94.47%
6. 96.90%
7. 98.26%
8. 99.03%
9. 99.45%
10. 99.69%
My 4matic known as a 722.9....takes 9 plus qts., and I heard if you change the plug you better be replacing with a genuine part, or you may have trouble getting it seated, a well known problem . And change that transfer case fluid while your under there. ( I would never use anything but genuine MB Tranny Fluid, suit youeself)
All these crazy recommendations! WOW! And if Amisol was the best fluid for a MB tranny, MB would be using it!
( and yes I know Chrysler used MB trannys for a model or two - I wouldnt' use there product to wash my parts in!) maybe their tranny fluid killed the mb trannys...da'ya'think?

·
Registered
99 ML320
28 Posts
And never buy anything with the Airmatic Shocks! 5-6 hundred a side for the air strut and several hundred for the block, and one hundred for the air pump....replace everything and watch it not hold air for the night - been there done that!
And the automatic rear hatches hydro pump. On the ML's... $700., or maybe it's the latch mechanism for$ 400......either way it will require tearing out all the rear trim and unlimited patience!!!!!!......Buy a hundred dollar Icar MB2 scanner before you buy a used MB. ...It will tell you a lot of things And the only way to avoid expensive problems is to work on it and maintain it yourself, and if you can't do that....well, I would recommend you buy a nice Toyota. Because MB parts are expensive, and as soon as you start using aftermarket parts is when your going to start having problems, and that fine Mercedes Benz is going to turn into a rattle trap! (I blew a motor 'cause of a $40 cheepo mail order after market water pump on my 95e320.....although it did have 282 thousand miles....it ran like a top...home made wire harness and all!)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
MJ, he meant drop fluid x3, only one time doing pan & filter.

Bfcnyc,

If was far more than 'a model or two'
more like over a dozen different rear drive Dodge, Chrysler, Jaguar - a supercharged one too, Porsche & a Korean luxury car too.

So, no I think it matters a whit if the 722.6 which vehicle it's in, fluid specs being identical & thus objective.

I'm going on 175k on both Benzss trouble free.

But hey for those with $$$ to burn, go ahead and get the 'designer fluid'.

I'll post the link for the 5Gtronic / 722.6 / NAG1 wiki article & model listing.

David in Texas

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Non Mercedes-Benz modelsEdit
MaybachEdit

JeepEdit

DodgeEdit

ChryslerEdit

JaguarEdit

SsangyongEdit

PorscheEdit

FreightlinerEdit

• 2001-2006 Freightliner Sprinter Vans (USA)

·
Registered
99 ML320
28 Posts
MJ, he meant drop fluid x3, only one time doing pan & filter.

Bfcnyc,

If was far more than 'a model or two'
more like over a dozen different rear drive Dodge, Chrysler, Jaguar - a supercharged one too, Porsche & a Korean luxury car too.

So, no I think it matters a whit if the 722.6 which vehicle it's in, fluid specs being identical & thus objective.

I'm going on 175k on both Benzss trouble free.

But hey for those with $$$ to burn, go ahead and get the 'designer fluid'.

I'll post the link for the 5Gtronic / 722.6 / NAG1 wiki article & model listing.

David in Texas
David, I did not know they were used in so many models ! And, I'm all for saving a buck , and I did put a Shell equivalent into my friends 2001 E320, but that was about 4 years ago so I don't remember price, but it was a lot less than the dealership brand ( at shop price, no tax, which saves about 20% )...but that was his choice.
For all the money I'm saving by doing the tranny fluid change myself...I'm going to spend the 25 - 28 bucks for the genuine MB fluid and not worry if I got some bootleg stuff. ( Tranny repair, replacement, rebuild reflashing are a drag! As you probably know!).....and I recently took responsibilty for my kid's 2013 ML350, 90K....and would'nt you know it....no Torque Converter drain plug...UG!....Tampa MB wanted 900.00 for a full service...exactly 4.5 qt.s come out I put in 5 heat it to 113 and .5 spits out.....$350.00 for 9qts. gasket, filter ,and bolts.....then I went back and got 5 more qts. and did it again ( i got bolts and filter from ec tunning and a qt. of red for the transfer case...um $100.) according to chart I need to do it again...so I'll be up to 500 bucks, but thats a newer car, and I hope to see it go 300K...I drive a $1500.00 99 ML320 187K....and I would probably use the less expensive Shell brand but my fluid is cherry red! It was well maintained , and I ran into the previous owner who said it was a great runner ( my luck!)
I am going to look into your recomendations ...maybe even as a flush ....'cause im not sure i'm cool with running it out of the torque converter, running the pump dry...on the 722.9...........
Good talking to you. Regards from Fl.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,729 Posts
I think you guys have OCD. If you take your car to the dealer, they probably just drop the pan, change the filter and refill...............no torque converter drain, no 3x thingy.

Two school of thoughts on transmission service. Some say complete fluid change, others say do partial. I would just drop pan, change filter and refill. If it makes you feel better, drain and refill 20K miles later.

No need to use Genuine MB fluid. If it meets spec, you're good to go.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts