Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'75 240D

Looking for the right side hard transmission line from trans to radiator, and hopefully the rubber bushed support clamp as well.

Is it available from dealer, other vendors, should I get it used or have one made?

Just replaced water pump, removed AC, installed new vacuum pump diaphram only to reveal the mystery transmission fluid leak I couldn't find previously. Now with all this good vacuum the next weak link reared it's ugly head. Looks like some boob clamped the bracket without a rubber bush in it and sliced the line, so much for service shops.

David

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
Metal line will be difficult to find, probably best to have one made up. Rubber hoses OTOH, are readily available.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
'On the other hand'

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
Take your chassis number to the dealer and have the parts person look it up. They can order it for you.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
Chassis number = VIN.

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
The VIN didn't begin until the early 80's. Until then it was a mish-mash of numbers and letters from the manufaturers, excluding Mercedes Benz of course.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Doesn't really matter which model the steel pipe comes from or which side of ther engine( they bend with small tube bender easily) . They are a generic item .there are 4-6 and V8 pipes. head for a wrecker and grab one from any pre1980 four cylinder or 5 cyl. Merc. Buy a new rubber hose from the nearest dealer. Again they are all the same basic part so don't sweat having to find a specific year part or what ever. Just use a piece of rubber on the steel line in the existing bracket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Repaired line

Thanks everybody;

Took my existing line to a local industrial hose and filter shop, they said they could fix the piece. They cleaned up the areas and silver soldered them and it works great. Found a total of three slits and two prospective pin holes. The cuts were due to overall gunk build up between the deteriorating bushing, clamp and line and constant vibration.

Also replaced the bushed brackets on both sides, had new flex hose installed on exiting ends which have a different taper than what they had available all for under $40 and less than 1/2 hour in the shop.

Now back to my unfinished vac issue!

Regards
David

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
The VIN didn't begin until the early 80's. Until then it was a mish-mash of numbers and letters from the manufaturers, excluding Mercedes Benz of course.
For the purpose of identifying parts, the terms are synonymous and completely interchangeable.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
Thanks everybody;

Took my existing line to a local industrial hose and filter shop, they said they could fix the piece. They cleaned up the areas and silver soldered them and it works great. Found a total of three slits and two prospective pin holes. The cuts were due to overall gunk build up between the deteriorating bushing, clamp and line and constant vibration.

Also replaced the bushed brackets on both sides, had new flex hose installed on exiting ends which have a different taper than what they had available all for under $40 and less than 1/2 hour in the shop.

Now back to my unfinished vac issue!

Regards
David
Good choice, local resources can usually come up with just about any kind of hard line you need, as long as you can provide an example.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts