Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking the condition of my trans fluid today and I noticed that there was no hint of red in the fluid. The fluid was a light brown color. I changed the transmission fluid (torque converter included) and the filter last year and about 22k miles have been put on the car since the fluid change. I was just curious if it is normal for the fluid to turn brown after 22k miles. I'm planning servicing my transmission again next week.

·
Registered
35,805 Posts
It is normal. There is no way to flush anything on the car without living good percentage of old fluids in the corners. If you go to "my take ..." in general section, I have pictures that after very intense transmission flushing the fluid got the brownish color just miles after. No harm to the transmission.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ditto to Kajtek1. If you want to be absolutely sure, send a sample to: Blackstone Laboratories for a chemical analysis with interpretation.
Too late. I already drained the transmssion fluid and changed the filter. I also drained the torque converter. It shifts a little better than it did before. The fluid came out looking brown. How much fluid is left in the transmission after you drop the pan and drain the torque converter?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Too late. I already drained the transmssion fluid and changed the filter. I also drained the torque converter. It shifts a little better than it did before. The fluid came out looking brown. How much fluid is left in the transmission after you drop the pan and drain the torque converter?
Too bad because when I had mine tested, I felt somewhat better. After 58,000 miles on the original fluid they said they would have advised changing it, but that it wasn't too bad. I don't have a TC so only replaced about 1/2 the fluid (filter and pan gasket of course). Based on that, I'm supposedly good until 88,000.

If I remember correctly, there is still some fluid left in the lines, but only about 10%. Glad to hear you did that job, your car is already thanking you for it. ;)

·
Registered
632 Posts
When I did mine a few months ago (pan and torque convertor), I measured how much came out. IIRC about 7.9 qts of 8.5qts. for 722.6xx transmission.

Did you inspect the bottom of the pan? Very important. Sorry I missed the post. Look for fine grit - aluminum or brass. Small amount is normal. And fibers (graphite). Again a little is okay too much indicates service needed.

I didn't notice any improvement in shifting but then it was shifting just fine before the service.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts