Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1979 & 1985 300D's
2,537 Posts
Find the current equivalent for Dex/Merc III.

Be very careful about topping it up. NEVER overfill it. It could rapidly kill your transmission.

Check the fluid when the transmission is at operating temp. Not the engine, but the transmission. This probably means at least a 15 minute drive or more if it's cold there. To be sure, you can use an infrared thermometer pointed at the transmission pan. Operating temp is 80C.

Check it also when the car is on flat level ground.

The transmission should be in park.

Be careful, take your time, add only a little bit between checks, and if you feel there's any chance you overfilled, take a bit out rather than risking it.

One important thing to keep in mind is that the distance between Low and Full is not 1 quart, like you might expect on an engine oil dipstick.

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
Is it safe to use synthetic Dex IV fluid??

I like using Redline D4, which is a full synthetic...
D4 is a good fluid.

Dexron VI is backward compatible.
I use it in a 95 Eldorado that spec is DexIII

·
Registered
1998 C280, 1984 300D, 1985 380 SL, 2009 E350
326 Posts
If you wish to spend a bit more, I recommend Valvoline maxlife. It's a synthtic but fully compatible with tradition dex iii type. I did castrol dex/merc 2 yrs ago then switched to maxlife and found smoother shifting. Just my experience and perception and don't mean to start an engine oil type argument.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.