Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about mill a finned bottom plate from aluminum plate for my 416 and it's gotten me thinking... Does anyone know of a 12 or 24 volt pump that would handle gear oil? If there was one out there I could have a pickup at the drain and pump it through a remote cooler. Theres lots of room for a cooler under the bed, maybe even a fan though that seems like overkill. If I can find a pump I'll give it a shot. And if the cover turns out OK can I offer it to people on list for a decent price, or is that against the rules? It's just as easy to make 1 as 10, but to do them 1 by 1..... you get the picture.. Seth

·
Registered
Unimog_404.113_1970
178 Posts
dont know if there any good, but there are cheap pumps witch are used to change oil in engine/gearbox etc. they flow like 3 liters per minute ...
could work nice!

thats the low budget choice, i think ... of course there are alot of "industrial" pumps, but they cost alot of $$$ ...

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,404 Posts
Do you think this is really necessary on a 416 ? Sure, 404 transmissions have major issues with sustained high speed running but I've never heard it being a problem with the newer units.

I've run my fast axle 416 at 60 MPH for 200 miles at a time and the transmission case temperature never went above 110 degrees F. I don't even bother measuring it's temp anymore - only the hubs and occasionally the diff pinions.

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't realize that it wsas only an issue for 404's... So it's probably not needed for the 416. Would it be a good idea for a 404 that gets highway use?? Seth

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,616 Posts
Seth, I thought of the same thing and asked Jack about doing it. He stated "don't bother" With the 406-416's they don't have the tranny overheating problem that the 404's do. He said they would run the trucks all day at highway speeds and never had any problems. You can do it if you want, but its not needed. Von

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,404 Posts
esde - 3/21/2005 2:39 PM

I didn't realize that it wsas only an issue for 404's... So it's probably not needed for the 416. Would it be a good idea for a 404 that gets highway use?? Seth
For a 404 ?

Abso-friggin-lutly ! [:D]

Check the archives on Eddie Runners list - many pages of discussion.

·
Registered
Unimog_404.113_1970
178 Posts
so the finned bottom lid is a "must-have"?

i was thinking of buying some crawler gears, but the
heat problem is perhaps more important for me ...

were can i find "Eddie Runners list"?

Mogasaurus - 3/22/2005 10:03 PM

esde - 3/21/2005 2:39 PM

For a 404 ?

Abso-friggin-lutly ! [:D]

Check the archives on Eddie Runners list - many pages of discussion.

·
Registered
U1250L & G320
5 Posts
I also talked to Jack when my trans was not shifting out of 8th after long periods of 60MPH driving. He said to try diferant oil I then did some calling and went with AMSOIL SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-4). It has solved any shifting problems cold or hot driving at highway speeds @ 100f out side temp with no problems. http://[www.amsoil.com/storefront/agt.aspx]

·
Registered
419 Posts
I thought about a transmission cooler for my 406 but it seems to be a non issue, but for those desiring to install one I came to the idea that the safest one is to bolt a Jacketed plate to the bottom plate and circulate water to it after running it thru a small radiator, is safer and easier than running the transmission oil and running the risk of losing the oil for X reason.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,404 Posts
were can i find "Eddie Runners list"?
You can search the archives all the way back to 1997 here:

http://playground.sun.com/~brutus/uni/search.html

You can join from this link:

http://tx4x4.com/mailman/listinfo/mog_tx4x4.com

This is where much of the serious North American Mog knowledge hangs out. Although, with the passing of Jack Russell (who actually was 'in the biz', factory-wise), the collective wisdom has taken a serious hit. Others, long silent, have stepped up to try and fill the gap.

·
Registered
'76 406.145 Doka tug
289 Posts
Check stickied "tech tips" thread, second post, link to a site with pics of plate and recirc styles, for 404 tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts