Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Ml320
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Mercedes cars.. And to this forum. I own a 98 ml320 and I've recently been having a couple issues with the transmission and can't read the transmission codes with my cheap scan tool... I know I need to change fluid filter and the round connector is leaking a little but I need to see if there are any codes stored.. My issue is that I'm not sure the converter is locking up.. Seems like rpms at 70 should be lower than 2800-3000.. My main question here is what can read the transmission? I know star or carsoft can but I'm really looking for software that I can use on my laptop and just a obd2 cable.. Not the multiplexer or whatever it is. I'm cheap I know. I have software for bmw and audi/vw but not Mercedes.. Anyone know of anything or have anything I can use for this? Thanks

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
12,204 Posts
Just a side note. If transmission has hard fault set engine control module will have P0715 code as well. It is a prompt to scan ETC for codes.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Ml320
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not much to be honest.. I don't normally pay for them I usually have them on my pc and use the cable I have but idk which one to use that will read all Mercedes modules besides star... No p0715 code either

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
23,346 Posts
You will also need a multiplexer and the Chinese clones are not that expensive, but getting Xentry/DAS installed is can be a PITA and it is on at least 3-4 dual layer DVDs.

Something like the Autel MD802 or iCarsoft 980 can access the trans, ETC and clear codes from both. They are around $200 or less.

Also our ML320 is spinning 2800-3000 rpm at 70-75mph so I am guessing the torque convertor is fine. BUT, yes do the fluid change and the leaky connector.
Only use approved fluid and a genuine MB or MOPAR connector. The aftermarket ones leak.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Ml320
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose Im kinda limited here... I was hoping it would be a little easier like bmw and audi is. Those have software floating around everywhere that will do more than most people need. Seems like Mercedes just makes theirs harder to access. I'll probably go with the Icarsoft 980. As for the fluid type to use I have read around and even on autohaus website shows valvoline maxlife dex/merc is what is recommended with lubegard.. Am I correct there?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
23,346 Posts
Autohaus can be confusing on fluids. You want a MB approved ATF. You do not have to pay the dealer $18 a liter.
You can get the Shell ATF 134 which is approved for about $6-7 per quart from a Shell distributor.
Also the Fuch 4134 is available mostly online at about $11-12 per liter.
The Valvoline is no bueno.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
12,204 Posts
I have recently researched cheap and portable solution. Ended up getting Launch X431 EasyDiag plus. This is something I can throw in the glove box and use in emergency.

Pros: It does read and clear codes from all MB modules, displays actual data streams. Price, portability. Works with new Android 7.1

Cons: Software installation on smart phone is kludgy. Instructions are written in Chinglish. Software is $39 per car line, per year. 35 mA parasitic current draw. No component activations.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Ml320
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use elm327 as my generic code reader. It doesn't do any specific modules just the check engine and some pending.. And as for the fluid type I asked about how come on the bottle it says compatible andand another forum I was reading that's what they recommended?

·
Registered
2001 ML270CDI
162 Posts
On a slight side note, as I see the transmission issue is up already...

My '01 ML270CDI has the leaking transmission connector issue (again), and will go into limp mode occasionally. Engine won't go over 2000 rmps or so, loss of power - the usual, so I suspected this to be an issue.

I've had the car up on a lift and confirmed that the connector is actually leaking. I've also sourced a new one.

Now, the son of my S.O. is a mechanic (but in a VW shop), and we'll be taking the car in to change brake pads and -fluid, so we'll change out the connector at the same time while we have it up on the lift.

I have a couple of cuestions related to that:
What is the proper transmission oil levels? They have a graded transmission dip stick, so we can measure the oil level in cms from the oil pan, but how many cm/mm is the min and max levels at?

What is the easiest way to clear all error codes? Will a battery disconnect do it?

Johan-Kr

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
6,235 Posts
Make sure you get yourself a genuine 13pin connector. Also get yourself a transmission dipstick to suit our transmission that way there is no hit and miss or guessing. They are not a lot of money for a bit of peace of mind. You'll need a descent level scanner that reads and clears transmission codes. Disconnecting the battery will not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 ML270CDI
162 Posts
It's this one: FEBI BILSTEIN Mechatronics, automatic transmission Transmission End (36332) buy cheap online

Small parts like a dipstick (not ordered for a rush job) easily takes a week to turn up at the dealer, and the plan was to do the car tomorrow. As the mechanic have a measurement dipstick that measures from the oilpan and up, we can acurately measure the oil level in mm/cm/inches, whatever. That's why I was asking for the numbers. I'll get a proper one when I order parts for an upcoming rear brake job.

Oh, and you won't believe what Mercedes Benz Norway charges for spares. $850 for a single rear shock/spring unit...

We'll have to see what the diagnostic unit at the mechanic workshop can do for the codes.

I've been bothering my mechanic a bit too much, so I'll have do do a real treat for him in return...

Johan-Kr

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.