Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 CLK 430, 1992 190e sportline (stick shift)
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just want to start off by saying that you guys have been great at answering my previous question, great community here, thumbs up..so here is the problem. While driving from school today, i noticed the gear selector went a little hard in 'D' when i started off, no biggie since its been like this not to long..as i was driving i noticed the car wouldnt down shift, so i tried to do it manually by moving the gear lever to "4, 3, and 2" doing this made the car down shift but it had a big delay, and sometimes didnt even down shift..so then i was just trying to get home, put it in "4" (would not go in D), as i was starting to pull away from a red light, (the car was stuck in 4 or 3rd it didnt down shift when i stopped at the light), the car just seemengly went into neutral. The gear selector itself was still in "4" but the tranny felt like it was in neutral because the rpms went up but the car would not move..i pulled over, and got the car towed home.There were no lound noises or screeches either..now the gear selector is stuck in Drive and wont go in anything above that. Im guessing its something elecrical since i dint not hear and lound noises that would indicate is mechanical buti might be wrong..anyway i found a whole tranny and shifter assembly for $400 from a guy parting out his crashed clk, the only problem is that his is a 2002 clk 430 and mine is a 1999 clk 430. does any one know if they will fit? im guessing it will..also if anybody has any ideas on what it can be that would be great, and if i do end up chaning the whole tranny any pointers?..thanks guys any bit of help would be great..thank-you

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
It will fit.

That said it is very possibly electrical. I'd pull codes before doing anything else. Even if you change the transmission and shifter, the codes are stored in the TCU and would have to be cleared.

You can learn lots by reviewing the 722.6xx FAQ thread in the W210 forum.

Also, that's an excellent price for a used transmission, so if you want to move on it and don't need it, you shouldn't have any trouble reselling it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the fast response greg your awesome..to clear the codes would i have to pull the TCM, and bring it to a dealer or do i have to bring the whole car? i would hate to have to tow it again..thanks

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
thanks for the fast response greg your awesome..to clear the codes would i have to pull the TCM, and bring it to a dealer or do i have to bring the whole car? i would hate to have to tow it again..thanks
Codes are cleared through the 38 pin diagnostic port under the hood. The TCM has to be in the car for it to be cleared. But even if you could remove it, when you put it back in the codes would come back if the problem isn't fixed.

Read through the FAQ thread I referenced and get the codes read. It might be the conductor plate issue, perhaps the TCM has been flooded by fluid from the leaky connector; there are lots of possibilities.

Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turns out the guys car was a 320 not 430..i know the tranny wont fit but does anybody know if the shifter module will fit? also the steering wheel is locked on the car and i cant seem to move it in my garage..im guessing its because the elcetronis are telling the car its in gear and it not, so i cant start it to unlock the steering wheel.any help?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: finally managed to source out a shifter assembly from craigslist for $120...did the swap today and problem is gone:) pretty simple job, glad i took the time to do it, thanks guys for your help;)

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
wow! yer good! you are talking about the shifter assembly that fits on top of the trans under the center console? did you spill and liquids on it prior to the probelm? did you try sticking a bic pen in the hole at the bottom of the shift pattern to unlock the wheel and tranny?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes the gear selector and everything else with it..i did leave the sun roof open awhile ago while it rained a little out side and that might have gotten some water in there, im not sure...never heard of using a pen to unlock wheel and tranny, what do you mean by "shift pattern"?

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
if you were to move the shift lever all the way down to first gear, somewher in that general vacinity I have read there is a hole to stick a pen into that will unlock your trans and steering wheel when you are in a spot like you were just in. I have never done it myself but I have read about it on this thread. Can someone else chime in on this one with more details please??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts