Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I am posting a new thread because no one had responded to the old one - 1983 300D Turbo - no longer catches 1st gear, now I can't drive - not leaking, fluid is proper - all it does is rev high and does not shift or catche any more - if I do somehow get it to go into 1st gear I am fine - help - thank you.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Sounds maybe like a B2 issue?

B2 is too short to do a search on (GREAT FEATURE!), but look for flare, or transmission.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just had that problem. Wouldn't catch first, but if it did, it would catch the rest of the gears fine. Took it to a transmission shop and was told it was shot. $3500, they quoted me for a rebuild. Then I took it to Continental Motors, a lower cost Mercedes shop here in Seattle. Told again it was shot, but I could get a used and mildly refurbed one (new seals, connects, fluid pan) for $750, free delivery to the shop, and another $550 for installation. Took two weeks all told. Maybe you can find a Mercedes wrecking yard in your neck of the woods and work out the same deal.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Ouch. That's like changing out your intake manifold when your ALDA line breaks. I don't think a B2 piston costs more than $100.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Check first:

1-Your tranny fluid level. You may have a leak and ended up with no fluid inside.

2-Check the tranny fluid quality, you might have a clogged fliter.

3-Check your boden cable it might be stuck in the hgih position.

4-Check the vacuum module it might be getting no air (blocked tubes) or a torn inside parts.

5-Check shifting lever, it may be stuck or broken in a lower grear while you are thinking it is in the (D).

Do a careful checkup before doing the 'Thousand+' spend on your tranny change. I think you should be able to identify the problem as soon as you think outside the box. If nothing of the above is the reason, then go ahead and do the tranny exchange.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey - alright, thanks for the replies - I will do some searching for the B2 and/or flare. It would be great if it were only an adjustment of some sort - troubleshoot action needed.

Also - Haroundb here are answers for your checks:

1-Your tranny fluid level. You may have a leak and ended up with no fluid inside.
[Tranny fluid level is spot on the money as far as I can tell and the level does not seem to waiver at all over time]

2-Check the tranny fluid quality, you might have a clogged fliter.
[Tranny fluid quality is like right of the bottle - looks new red/clear = happy]

3-Check your boden cable it might be stuck in the hgih position.
[I did attempt to adjust this - but have little idea of what I am actually doing - did some searches on process but maybe need a bit more guidance. didn't seem to make that big of a difference no matter the turning of the screw]

4-Check the vacuum module it might be getting no air (blocked tubes) or a torn inside parts.
[I am a bit confused as to where and how to start this process - I have never troubleshooted (troubleshot?sp) a vacuum system before but am willing to try. I did search threads and some other sites for info - is there a way to rule this in or out?]

5-Check shifting lever, it may be stuck or broken in a lower grear while you are thinking it is in the (D).
[My shifting lever is indeed fubar-ed - however - I was able to get by, it now seems to have the same issue regardless if it is in (1), (2) or (D) - - reverse works great!]

Thanks again for the replies - I am grounded for now/on foot until I can resolve this issue - all replies appreciated!

I will report back with more research on these subjects that have been brought up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
simple troubleshooting methods?

I guess I am looking for any possible simple troubleshooting methods that I would be able to discern whether or not something is contributing to the issue - without having to replace parts or go through rigorous inspection, tinkering and replacing parts.

Sounds like the only way to figure out the B2 is to get to it - which in itself takes some time - also with vacuum seems like much time to spend on it when it could be fine.

I am not looking for shortcuts to solve the problem - I just believe there must be some way to properly troubleshoot the issue in order to narrow it down from a giant freakin list of possibilities.

Does this make sense - is it possible. I used to be a technician for a Japanese engineering firm working on large format solvent inkjet printers. The first thing we learned was how to diagnose, troubleshoot and quickly rule out possibilities to save time. The actual repair might take time - but we could figure it out quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts