Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'00 S430
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to change the trans fluid (drain/fill/drive/drain/fill).

How does one remove the "dealer service" plastic plug on the fill tube?

What does one replace it with? I have not found a source for one.

I have used the search function and came up empty.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
you break the old lock on the cap and replace it with a new red lock. they are sold at the dealer for less then $2

·
Registered
'00 S430
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I saw that red contraption on AutohausAz and wondered where it fit. It is $0.88 and the fluid is $15/qt.

·
Registered
02 S430 - 00 ML55 - 91 NSX
259 Posts
You break the red tab and drive the rest of the locking pin thru. You can reuse the pin without the top tab.

Tranny only drain out 3 qt or so. That mean you have to change the fluid many time over to get the 8.5 qt out

There is a new MB ATF that is about $8. It is the MB ATF 3353. Its Pink.. Old ATF in your tranny had probably turned brown.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can drain the torque converter on the car, along with the pan drain you will get about 8 of the total nine quarts out. Use the MB synthetic that is made for the car, it is expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
'00 S430
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, the red thing I saw online looks too big to fit. I do plan to use te proper MB syn fluid, it runs $14 at Autohauz Arizona.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
Bravo64 said:
You can drain the torque converter on the car, along with the pan drain you will get about 8 of the total nine quarts out. Use the MB synthetic that is made for the car, it is expensive but worth it.
the newer models have no plug to drain the converter. the easiest way to get all new fluid in there is either use a tranny service machine or disconnect a line at the tranny and run the car and continue to topm off the fluid level untill fresh fluid comes out.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, 2000 S 430, 2003 ML270 CDI
291 Posts
Which is the last model that has the torque converter drain plug? Where is it located?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
finntexan said:
Which is the last model that has the torque converter drain plug? Where is it located?
I cant give an exact date but the models you have (according to your) profile are beyond 2000 and therefore should not have the TC drain plug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts