Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow merc fans,

I bought a 190d 2.5 in july 2004 (my first Benz) and have been very happy. Especially as it just passed its yearly MOT test without any work having to be done! Not bad for a 15 year-old car I think!

However, there is one problem which has been causing me much distress. Basically, here is what happens... From a standing start I give it gentle throttle to pull away. I have read in the manual that it should pull from second gear shifting up from there on. However, this does not seem to happen. There is a "clunk" from the rear of the car and it feels like it has kicked down into first. Then it'll hang on to about 3800 rpm before shifting up. I then seem to end up in "flat spot" when it shifts as if it has missed out second gear. This makes it really hard to drive smoothly and make progress. I understand this would happen if i was flooring it, but this is just gentle stop-start traffic driving.

There used to be a hard jolt into the next gear when shifting up as described above, but I had transmission fluid drained by a local gearbox garage and that has gone away. Now it seems to "flare" more instead.

The cruise control was not working and temporarily removed the control pressure ball socket off the throttle linkage a few months ago. Could I have messed this up? The cruise turned out to be a faulty brake light. (Fixed by researching this forum!).

I can't see how to adjust the control pressure cable. The Haynes manual says adjust the throttle linkage length and reconnect the cable when you can feel some tension. I did this but am not sure if its helped.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! Its such a shame to have that nice 5 cyl engine not being made the most of.

Also if there are any hobbyists or mechanics that could help in south west of england I would be interested to hear from you - I am willing to drive a long way to find someone who has the patience to assess the problem. One garage i went to said "don't bother changing fluid it needs a new box".

Thanks,

Paul (Devon UK)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts