Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just purchased a 1995 S420. When I drive in reverse, there is a clicking sound from the tranny ( I am assuming). Going forward, there are no tranny issues.

Can somebody give me an idea of where to start?

Thanks.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I would start by saving for a tranny rebuild or replace, if you have the 722.3 tranny it is the front clutch.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
5,008 Posts
I used to have the same issue with the 722.4 transmission on my W201 and the problem was clogged transmission filter. Problem solved with new filter and fresh ATF.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would start by saving for a tranny rebuild or replace, if you have the 722.3 tranny it is the front clutch.
How much do you think a rebuild should cost? or do i only need to replace the front clutch?

Right now, if the tranny is cold, it takes awhile for the car to shift right. once the oil is warm, it shifts normal.

Would a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix oil help?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
The Lucas was the cause of my clogged filter. I just added Lucas coz I thought it would recondition the seals in the tranny then it clogged the filter and I ended up replacing the filter again with pure ATF Dexron III only which solved all the symptoms with Reverse delay and UN-normal shifts.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I am referring only to the early non electronic transmission, which would click cold in reverse. MB serviced it at 75K and really did not find anything, like shavings or such. The problems then started a few months later, when it would hesitate engaging reverse when warm and them lurch as throttle was applied. The trans has to come out, I opted for an MB rebuilt with 2year/24000 warranty, new hoses and motor mount, no converter. The trans was $3100 but with everything else it came to $5000. There are some shops who will do it for less but that was rebuilding and a lesser warranty.

·
Registered
95 S320 - Polar white; 95 S600 - Black Pearl
294 Posts
Hi guys,

I just purchased a 1995 S420. When I drive in reverse, there is a clicking sound from the tranny ( I am assuming). Going forward, there are no tranny issues.

Can somebody give me an idea of where to start?

Thanks.

Xtmsports:

Before you start checking replacement transmissions prices...

Check the insulation piece that sits between the driveshaft and the car underside. It is glued in place. Over time the insulation appears to drop down and sit against the flex disc. Driving in reverse causes the flex disc attachment bolts to flap (tick?) against the insulation. This causes a loud ticking sound.

Solution: Cut away part of the insulation that rests against the flex disc.

I hope you get lucky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Lucas was the cause of my clogged filter. I just added Lucas coz I thought it would recondition the seals in the tranny then it clogged the filter and I ended up replacing the filter again with pure ATF Dexron III only which solved all the symptoms with Reverse delay and UN-normal shifts.
My reverse is not delayed. It just clicks/grinds when going in reverse.

When the tranny is cold, going forward, i can feel it slipping. The RPMs go up, but the car doesn't speed up. After a couple of minutes when the oil is warm or perhaps covers the gears, it shifts.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I don't think it is slipping when cold, on my W201 and W124 with the 722.4 Tarsnmission when the car is cold the transmission holds the gears longer and the RPM goes higher to heat up the Catalytic converter quickly, then when it is warm it shifts normal.
It might be the same scenario with the W140.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts