Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 W210 E55 AMG, 2002 SLK32 AMG, 2007 W164 ML320 CDI
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have just experienced some tranny oil leaking problem...I cant see it clearly where is it leaking from before I jack the car up but from what I see it seems that it is leaking somewhere near the gap between where the tranny and engine mate together. has anyone experienced this before? I tried to search the forum and all the tranny leaking problem seems is from the electronic connector but not where mine seems to be leaking now. Thanks for all your helps!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I'd suggest that you first eliminate the connector. Jack it up (right front) and support properly, then remove the little metal cover over it. If it's all dry, including the harness insulation, then you have effectively eliminated it. The issue is the fluid can run down the harness and off onto the bellhousing, so you think that's where it's coming from.

If it's actually coming from between the transmission and engine, it's either the front main seal or the front pump seal. Together that's like $25 in parts, but the transmission has to come out. :(

I'm hoping it's the connector.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much I will try to jack up the car asap and see where is coming from...hopefully is the connector instead of the seal =(

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
+ 1 on the plug advice. A leak from the transmission plug can travel a little before showing up at a drip location.

Photo below shows connector location at the front passenger side of the transmisison with the plug removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys I will try to go to have the car lift up and see hopefully it is the connector!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally changed the connector today...when the mechanic took the connector off (the connector base that you need to unscrew) it leaked about like half a liter of oil and it stopped. Then he put the new one in and screw it back in and put everything back together and cleaned off all the oil from the area. So now my question is that is it for sure now is that connector that is leaking? or could there still be other places that is leaking? btw the mechanic charged 95 canadian dollars labour and the connector base is only 14 dollars and took like half an hour to change it...seems overcharged?

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
btw the mechanic charged 95 canadian dollars labour and the connector base is only 14 dollars and took like half an hour to change it...seems overcharged?
charging 1 hour rate for 5 min job seems robbery to me. also why does he charge for the connector more than what the dealer charges? i remember paying around $10 from dealer a while ago. did he even check the fluid level after wards? i hope he added approved fluid to your tranny since you lost half quart right there in front of him and probably some from the leak previously. i would try to find a non-crook mechanic for the future.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I finally changed the connector today...when the mechanic took the connector off (the connector base that you need to unscrew) it leaked about like half a liter of oil and it stopped. Then he put the new one in and screw it back in and put everything back together and cleaned off all the oil from the area. So now my question is that is it for sure now is that connector that is leaking? or could there still be other places that is leaking? btw the mechanic charged 95 canadian dollars labour and the connector base is only 14 dollars and took like half an hour to change it...seems overcharged?
That's the price of knowledge that you don't have.

Just think of the recent Mammy Yo cum(Horror Story) who had no experience, but watched a forum video and tried to change the connector himself, in the process he broke the conductor plate connector pins and after all said and done cost him USD700 for a proper shop to fix.

Understand your limitations!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol I have no idea but 14 dollars is in Canadian coz I am in Canada. However an hour labour really seems expensive to me and is a shop that I have been going to for a long time....so I cant really like argue with the person....sometimes he charge me liek 20 bucks on an 2 hr job and sometimes he balance tires for me for free but this 5 min job he charged me 90 bucks really seems way too much

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
If he is a reputable mechanic, then he would have changed the plug, checked and cleared codes, set the fluid level with the proper fluid and probably have reset adaptations. CAN $95 is not bad. I've heard of some folks who paid US $200 at their dealer.

I bought the spacer at the dealer and it was US $14 and change; if his mechanic doesn't have a relationship with a dealer he pays what you and I pay.

I'm not sure why all the vitriolic language aimed at the mechanic. He was asked to do a job, and if he did it properly, he was fairly compensated. He runs a shop for profit and has overhead, I don't see the gouging.

msiumng, if you're happy and the problem is fixed, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah he did do everything actually changed the plug cleared the codes set the fluid level with the factory fluid and cleaned all the leaked oil under the car. well I guess is alright 95 dollars is not very cheap but as long as is all fixed. Happy new year to everyone =)

·
Registered
1997 E320
79 Posts
The canadian dollar is pretty much par right now, He's probeally charging you flat rate book time dosen't matter if it took him 15 min or 3 hour he goes by the book time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts