Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1989 420 SEL, smoked silver, dark brown interior, 127k miles..love the car (except for the dark brown interior, yuk). It's in great shape and has already had the timing chain, valve guides, and more replaced.

However, I've got a small fluid leak on the passenger side, probably 12" behind the tire, towards the middle of the engine, red fluid. It seems like the wrong place for power steering, and I haven't tried to crawl under the car yet. Thought I'd check the tranny fluid, but how the hell do I get that cap off? Seems like you need to hold the lower piece in place, then twist the red cap. Not sure if you need to squueze the sides, or push down on the top, or what. I cranked on it some, couldn't budge it, then stopped because I was afraid I'd bust the cap by forcing it.

Any suggestions on getting the cap off, and ideas on the source of the leak would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The transmission dipstick fastener? Yes, you simply pull the fastener attached to the bottom of the cap away from the filler tube; once released it will be at a right angle in relation to the tube. You may need to use both hands and a rag as you’re checking it hot.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny how things seem obvious after someone explains it. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1997 S420
136 Posts
your leak could be from the power steering, check the return line coming back from the steering box, it has a section of rubber hose which can perish / split.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts