Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1984 mercedes benz 300d
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
84 W123 auto 209K miles... So i drove to work and back, no issues. then i had some errands to do and when i left my house the first gear was slipping (ive heard this car starts out in 2nd gear, but either way it was the starting gear.) It was reving up really high and going really slow. after gaining momentum, ever other gear was fine tho. i checked the tranny fluid and it was bone dry so i topped it off. took about 4 quarts. at first that seemed to fix it but after driving a few miles it was doing it again. that was yesterday and i havent done anything with it today. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1983 300TD, 1995 E300
435 Posts
84 W123 auto 209K miles... So i drove to work and back, no issues. then i had some errands to do and when i left my house the first gear was slipping (ive heard this car starts out in 2nd gear, but either way it was the starting gear.) It was reving up really high and going really slow. after gaining momentum, ever other gear was fine tho. i checked the tranny fluid and it was bone dry so i topped it off. took about 4 quarts. at first that seemed to fix it but after driving a few miles it was doing it again. that was yesterday and i havent done anything with it today. Any ideas?
4 quarts to top off!?!?!

Have you noticed some slippery red stuff being left behind anywhere? My guess would be a leak.

·
Registered
1984 mercedes benz 300d
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize that is should not have gotten that low but I've Oink had the car for about 4 days now. It doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere. I'm pretty mechanicaly inclined so should I be thinking rebuild or filters and seals? Or what?

·
Registered
1984 mercedes benz 300d
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok so i think its the kick down switch behind the accelerator pedal. i tried pressing it with my foot and it will go down to first gear and take off normally... sometimes. does it sound like the problem? it cant be hard to replace... right?

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
If you just acquired your Benz, best to start with a oil and filter change of your transmission. Change the engine oil & filter and fuel and air filters too.

First gear take-off should be controlled by the bowden wire on top of the valve cover. That wire should not have slack at idle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts