1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Opinions/Suggestions are welcome.
Info:
07 S550 180k miles , shifts perfect (prior to limp mode). Tranny fluid and filter replaced last year at 160k miles with no issues.

Issue
:
Got stuck on limp mode last night after work. Had my dad bring the MB Star Scanner, deleted the codes and was good to drive again (thank God because I was 1hr away from home and only had 1st gear working in limp mode).

Code is suggesting solenoids but I am not sure if this is just a solenoid issue.

My 07 S550 has a bulletin from the dealer showing it had the conductor plate replaced with a new version back in 2010 under warranty.
I thought it was maybe the accessory battery in the trunk so I went and replaced that but the code is showing up again.

It only does this if the car is sitting all night and once the code is removed it does not show the code again.

I also started getting the 'SOS TELEAID Malfunctioning' message on the speedometer but not sure if that is because I had to remove the battery to replaced it the day before.

P2725 - Y3/8y6(B2 brake band solenoid valve(VGS)),

P2734 - Pressure Ctrl Sol F Electrical

P2810 - Pressure Control Solenoid 'G' Electrical / Y3/8y1 (Working pressure control solenoid valve (VGS))

It also odd that my alternator is charging at 13.6v- sometimes 13.8v but hardly goes over 14v when on the highway. I thought 14v-14.4v was the ball park for the alternator.

I plan on getting the car on the ramp and get the solenoids out of the valve body and test each one of them. I can't tell if this is an issue with the conductor plate or a single solenoid. Only thing I can think of the magnets in the pan are not placed correctly and allowing debris in the solenoid.

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
2,590 Posts
Goodness that's a bit of a 'no thank you' event! Just this weekend I had an odd BAS/ESP problem along with a couple of other oddities like strange transmission shifting and heavy steering. I drove the car for a bit and then turned it off. When I started it again it drove as if nothing had happened. Two days in a row meant connecting it to the SDS only to find NO codes stored or present related to the BAS/ESP/ABS. One thing I did notice because it has been mentioned here many times is that while my Starter battery was showing 13.5 (brand new btw) with the car off, the Consumer battery showed 12.2V almost immediately and then dropped from there, voltage was 14.4V with the engine running.

So I jumped to conclusions (not wrong this time!) and replaced my consumer battery and the problems disappeared. When I took the battery in for replacement I noticed a sticker underneath the part number sticker so I peeled it back and found my battery was new in November of 2011. Seven years is GREAT battery life here in the desert, even for an AGM, inside-the-car battery.

Anyway I'm hoping for something simple for you! You can verify the voltages via SDS to see if perhaps your Consumer battery is shot, of course it could be something else entirely. Pics below of the date code and part number.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 s550 sports package, 2006 r350 4matic, 2003 s500 4matic 2006 r500
92 Posts
Arlind86! How's it going buddy? I'm having the same problem @ about 153xxx miles--2734 " the internal electrical check of component y3/8y3 (k2 clutch control solenoid valve)) has failed ". I reset it about 3 times (with STAR that you advised me to buy a couple years back) over a couple months with the Intentions to change fluid and filter first and then solenoid if that didn't solve it. One time it went into limp mode I pulled over and after restarting the car 5 times the check engine light went off and returned to normal without using STAR. I bought a complete set of Bosch solenoids from eBay and sent it to the shop. Should get it back this week.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well unfortunately I got bad news from shop. Had the solenoids, fluid, filter and motor mounts replaced but to no avail. Same code 2734 still present after clearing it. I'm going to take the my SDS to see if i can clear it tomorrow.

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well unfortunately I got bad news from shop. Had the solenoids, fluid, filter and motor mounts replaced but to no avail. Same code 2734 still present after clearing it. I'm going to take the my SDS to see if i can clear it tomorrow.
Hey bud,

Sorry for my later reply but I have been away from a computer due to work offsite.

Sorry to hear the news. Was hoping a solenoid change would fix this issue.

In SDS you might have to go and scroll manually to the Transmission module and clear the code as well as the HISTORY codes. I had codes saved there as well and check engine light went off only after i cleared the history codes.

This is very strange to me though. If clearing the codes and history codes in the transmission don't change anything, then it is pointing towards a conductor plate.

The odd thing is, I am getting a code with an updated conductor plate which I have receipts from the previous owner that it was changed at a MB dealer back in 2009.

The other odd thing I noticed.. if I let the car warm up to temperature and turn off and on the car, it actually starts shifting fine and is not in limp mode anymore.

I also had my aux battery in the trunk replaced after this problem started but the problems still remained.

Shortly after I got the tranny issue, the Ignition coil #8 also stopped working. I just ordered one today but what in the world is going on with our cars. This stuff is breaking all at once. :( I have been driving my winter car (DTS 2007) because I can't drive the benz the way it is :(

I will keep you posted when I drop the pan hopefully in the next couple of weeks or so.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tyrone, please tell us you checked your consumer battery (in the trunk).
Sorry for the delayed reply gentlemen. No Skylaw I haven't had a chance to get back to the shop so I have not checked the battery but I will today because the guy said the instrument cluster was flashing... that's probably the cause. I will also take Arlind86 advice and try to reset the module directly because a couple times it would not come out of limp mode and the only way to get it out was to proceed with Star like I had changed the module. After following Star's instructions (re-teaching gears) it was successful... so hopefully that's the solution this time too. I will report back by tom with outcome. I'm feeling optimistic since Both of you gentlemen have helped me outta tight spots before. I can't Thank you enough for your expertise!!

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the delayed reply gentlemen. No Skylaw I haven't had a chance to get back to the shop so I have not checked the battery but I will today because the guy said the instrument cluster was flashing... that's probably the cause. I will also take Arlind86 advice and try to reset the module directly because a couple times it would not come out of limp mode and the only way to get it out was to proceed with Star like I had changed the module. After following Star's instructions (re-teaching gears) it was successful... so hopefully that's the solution this time too. I will report back by tom with outcome. I'm feeling optimistic since Both of you gentlemen have helped me outta tight spots before. I can't Thank you enough for your expertise!!
Any change on this? Did replacing the solenoid and clearing the code fix the issue?

I am thinking about dropping the transmission pan and pulling the valve body out and testing the solenoids.

Mine works fine once the car is heated up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Short answer no I just had the car towed home from the shop 15 minutes ago. Thursday I went back and after fiddling with SDS for a couple of hours I got the light to go off and it was out of limp mode going into gear the way it's supposed to but on the test drive it seemed to slip( high rpm) before going to next gear so I didn't exceed 30 mph. I bought a new consumer battery and he said he'll check the fluid. I thought I'd get the car the next day. But after no answer or call i went today to find.... no dice ... light still on. Haven't hooked it to star yet but will later. I guess my Next move will be to replace TCM if all else fails. Sorry buddy no good news

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Short answer no I just had the car towed home from the shop 15 minutes ago. Thursday I went back and after fiddling with SDS for a couple of hours I got the light to go off and it was out of limp mode going into gear the way it's supposed to but on the test drive it seemed to slip( high rpm) before going to next gear so I didn't exceed 30 mph. I bought a new consumer battery and he said he'll check the fluid. I thought I'd get the car the next day. But after no answer or call i went today to find.... no dice ... light still on. Haven't hooked it to star yet but will later. I guess my Next move will be to replace TCM if all else fails. Sorry buddy no good news
that is no bueno.

Have you had your conductor plate replaced do you have any records? How many miles on your car and what year?

It is possibly it's your conductor plate. I hope you trust your mechanic and he actually changed the solenoids. If you have the old ones with you, test them out. There are videos on youtube how to test out the 722.9 solenoids.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No bud I haven't replaced the conductor plate. I finally got a chance to hook it up to SDS today. Same code 2734. I noticed the description of my code is different from yours. Your code says pressure ctrl sol F electrical. Mine reads "INTERNAL CHECK" of component y3/8y3k2 clutch ctrl solenoid has failed. I cleared the codes and reprogrammed the TCM. Rescanned it no codes were present and no check engine light smooth transition when going into drive then on the test drive I monitored the live data and noticed that the car drove smoothly until the actual changing of gears the RPMs went up to like 3500rpms before shifting and while the RPMs were up the scanner read implausible in the space that reads target gear and then would shift to 2nd, 3rd, or 4th whichever was next. If I don't accelerate while it's "changing gears " the the rpms won't go as high. And for the record I do not trust the mechanic I am sure that he changed the Solenoids though because I asked for the old ones and he said he checked them they were all good. No more limp mode just slipping while changing gears.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
782 Posts
Do you intend on changing the conductor plate with the valve body as well?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well TiffanyTwisted I'm not sure.... I cleared the history codes as Arlind86 suggested, drove the car it still went up to like 2500-3000 rpms before switching to the next gear still no light and no codes after I rescanned it. I'm going to pay a tranny shop to check the fluid level since I don't have the tools or know how because it acts like the fluid is low. I'm also wondering if I need to reset shift points or something since I had to reprogram the transmission? My plan is to check and correct fluid if needed. If that doesn't solve the issue send it to this guy (that repaired my ism when it failed) by the weekend.

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well ...i got the valve body out, cleaned all the dirty out of it (there was some fine sandy dirt). One of the solenoids had small pieces of dirt on the screen as well but didn't seem excessive.

I also tested all the solenoids and they all had the same rate except the solenoid that had dirt on it which was .01 volts less than the others.
I swapped locations with that particular solenoids with another one of the same color.
I also cleaned the conductor plate from any debris and the shifter link in the valve body which slides out - that's where most of the debris was at

I installed everything back on the trans, added the correct fluid and no more codes for 4-5 days.

Well, today in the morning I get in to leave for work, and I am in limpmode and getting the same error codes [email protected]

I wait for the car to warmup, plugged in my generic scanner and erased the codes and i'm back to normal. It seems like it's happening only when cold.

I am out of options now. I am thinking perhaps my conductor plate is bad eventhough it was replaced back in 2010 with an updated on.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

·
2,590 Posts
Two things come to mind;

- Have you cleaned the solenoids via this method?

- If it were me at this point I would probably blow the cash to get a new conductor plate assembly, but my S550 is my daily driver so maybe not the same situation for you.

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Two things come to mind;

- Have you cleaned the solenoids via this method?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG9OZACdx3c

- If it were me at this point I would probably blow the cash to get a new conductor plate assembly, but my S550 is my daily driver so maybe not the same situation for you.
Yes, I cleaned them with a magnet although there was not much dirty in them.

My main questions is....is it a solenoid or is it a conductor plate. I checked again and the production year on my conductor plate is 2009 which is not known to be the year production they go bad.

I found a place on ebay that repairs conductor plates but I am not getting any of the errors they have posted. Mainly the once they fix are related to the input speed sensor or no communication errors which mine doesn't seem to have those symptoms.

In short, I don't want to spend $$$ on buying a new conductor plate...when it might not be fixing my issue anyway. :crying:crying

·
2,590 Posts
I totally understand your hesitance to throw parts at it.

My understanding is that the valves are calibrated through the SDS, so moving them even if like color (black/black or blue/blue) would still require re-calibration through the SDS. However since your cleaning has still left you with the same codes after shifting valves, it stands to reason that it might indeed be the conductor plate. Perhaps our large German tank friend has some intelligent advice?

·
Registered
2009 E350 AMG Sports Package
1 Posts
Did any of the issues get resolved?
Im having the same limpmode issue on my '08 W221 it has the check engine code P2725 for pressure control Sol E.

Did you get your problem resolved? I am having hard shifting issues on my 09 E350 but no trouble codes. Does not get stuck in gears either. Im thinking its the transmission mount.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
782 Posts
Shifting issues often do not result in fault codes. There were many software updates that address shift quality and careful adaptions must be carried out after some of them, with two occupants and one operating XENTRY.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.