Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my tranny finally gave out on me and Im looking for a used auto tranny and torque converter that will fit in my 98, ML320. Can anyone tell me where the best place is to get these parts online.... used or remanefactured will do. Just to give you guys an idea I was quoted $3900 for the two parts from my independent shop. Thxs for all your help in advance.

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
MLOffRoad said:
Hey guys, my tranny finally gave out on me and Im looking for a used auto tranny and torque converter that will fit in my 98, ML320. Can anyone tell me where the best place is to get these parts online.... used or remanefactured will do. Just to give you guys an idea I was quoted $3900 for the two parts from my independent shop. Thxs for all your help in advance.
Try www.pgauto.com

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
MLOffRoad said:
or try this:

http://car-part.com/

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Geze Al... Check on ebay they have some on there. I got mine from NJ forgot the shops name, it was import (something) they give a yr unlimited mile warranty.

Sorry to hear this... Happens to the best of us..

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Al also hit me up on my email or aim, got some news and pics of tranny for you..

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
Brabus ML 270CDI
1,904 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with the sourcing of a replacement tranny in your area (I only sourced units in Germany)

... but I have you definately set for the replacment DIY! emailed you! I bet you will have it done in less than 6.5 hours .....

PS: Make sure you use a car-lift and support stand!. That long wrench extension with the universal joint is also a must!

... and check out my replacment parts list .... O-Rings, plastic covers, fliud, etc.... you may as well order them now up ahead ! They are rediculously few , and cheap.

... also try to organize a lend of a funnel with a filter inside it! Most shops have them!. It's best to fine grain filter the fluid before pouring it in.

.... oh and make sure that if you get a replacement tranny it has all the design improvements in it (later models have them, i.e if buying a used one ... get a MY2004 tranny)...... Those replacment shops should recon them up to the latest level of design improvements.

I have your tranny partno listed in the DIY ..... each model has slightly different internals ... oh WTH , here is the tranny model list!

Overhaul Kits (I don't think you want this, you'll probably whant an exchange transmission)
-------------
http://www.drivetrain.com/mercedes_dt.htm

Fluid Change
------------
http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/Trans7226Fluid

Dip stick
-----------
http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Mercedes-Benz-Transmission-Fluid-Gauge-ASM7226.html

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
The transmission in my 1998 ML320 went bad recently. I bought a used transmission out of a wrecked 2003 ML and the dealership told me it should work with my 1998.

I had a local shop put the tranny in and today they called me to tell me that it goes into reverse and works goes fine... but when they put it in any of the forward gears it's like it's still in neutral and doesn't move....

Can anyone help?

Baktash
[email protected]

·
Registered
Brabus ML 270CDI
1,904 Posts
checkout the p3 forum ....MLOFFROAD has a similar problem , and a simple remedy for it!. Also make sure they use a SDS unit to check for error codes!.

·
Registered
11 Posts
please excuse my ignorance. But what is the "p3 forum"... and isn't this the transmission thread started by MLOFFROAD?

Thanks,
Baktash

·
Registered
Brabus ML 270CDI
1,904 Posts
w w w . p o i n t e d t h r e e . c o m

.....take out the spaces!.

.... yes , but I made a DIY writeup for replacing transmissions in W163´s, and he used it to replace his transmission!.

·
Registered
11 Posts
okay... so we got the tranny working now. The problem now is that it does not change gears when it is supposed to (shift points) and after a bit of driving it gets stuck in 3rd gear. I'm assuming thats just the limp home mode.

Can the 1998 ML320 computer (for the transmission i guess) be reflashed/reprogrammed? Could anywhere with the SDS system do it?

Thanks,
Baktash

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone?

They pulled the codes, they didn't tell me exact code numbers, but they said one of them was for the transmission computer, and another was for gear ratio?

Also does anyone know if the transmission computer from a 2003 can just be used in place of the 1998 transmission computer?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts