Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Is it possible to change the tranny fluid , with the pan dropped and filter out, to turn iginition and flush the oil out. Will it scatter oil all over the garage floor?

I know yumling did it but it came through the hose up in front of car.Thanks !

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hi,

Is it possible to change the tranny fluid , with the pan dropped and filter out, to turn iginition and flush the oil out. Will it scatter oil all over the garage floor?

I know yumling did it but it came through the hose up in front of car.Thanks !
It will indeed make a mess and you won't get all of it, the pump will stop moving fluid pretty quickly since it won't be able to draw any from the pan and then it will burn out. Of course you'll put all fresh fluid in your new (replacement) transmission, so yeah, I suppose you could do it that way. ;)

Seriously, sounds like you're trying to shortcut the shortcut. You don't have to flush it, you know, just do the approx. 4L replacement for the pan drop/filter change and then drain and fill approx. 4L in 15K-25K intervals thereafter. But if you're going to flush it, follow yumlings DIY after you change the filter and do the cold fill.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Greg,

I did wanted to consider Yumlings , but i could not find the hose. I looked at it, took pictures of the area but could not locate the actual hose. I was thinking , i might ruin something else. I believe I will still do it the logical way and the way i did it before. Drop the pan and let it flow out. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
You should be fine with a periodic partial change. I had mine done at 58,000 and sent a sample of the old fluid to Blackstone for analysis. They said:

1) It needed to be changed or refreshed
2) Do it again after 30,000 miles.

However, I'm with Greg on this issue and plan to do another partial sometime before 88,000.

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Musikmann,

I still have around 14k mi. for the next change and I was wondering another way would be unmessy and quicker. Haste makes waste so I will go the original way i did it before. Thanks.

·
Registered
from small to large
885 Posts
You can do a simple way - use a marine oil extractor (like a pella or an electric one) sucking out tranny fluid every 15kmi, that is half change each time. At 45kmi drop the pan and replace filter. I did this for all my MB cars so far so good - only 15 minutes job making tranny last long - all my cars have original trannies.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Musikmann,

I still have around 14k mi. for the next change and I was wondering another way would be unmessy and quicker. Haste makes waste so I will go the original way i did it before. Thanks.
How long ago in miles did you change it? You don't have to drop the pan unless it's been a long time, you can just pull the drain plug, let it out, then put the plug back in and refill.

That's really pretty easy, similar to changing the oil. My apologies if my joking reply was read otherwise, too.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
98 E-320, 2003 E-500
685 Posts
I have a 98E-320, after my indie dropped the pan, replaced filter and 4 liter of fluid, I did the flushing the way yumling did it. The hose is precisely shown as in the diy pictures (in yumling's post). Take out the air filter housing and you'll see it right away.
My only difference is to pump out 2 liters at a time. My mechanically skill is maybe 5 out of 10 but did it in less than 30 minutes.

Good luck

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,199 Posts
The "4 liters drained from the pan" is always a mystery for me.
When I dropped my pan I counted about 2.6 quarts, although I just estimated it on the milk bottle.
IMHO replacing the 25-35% of the fluid in the pan every 60k miles is the easiest way to do it a home. I bough flushing machine just for the purpose, but that's me ;)
Than I think wiping the heavy residue from bottom of the pan is critical.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
I'm doing my oil change(filter too was replaced) as I write. I got four-liters out, and I used a graduated clear kitchen container(which is now dedicated to 722.6xx trans fluid). I did follow the first link in the Engine, and Transmission DIY section, but the second link-emptying the Transmission cooler and Torque Converter works like a champ.

I first filled the pan from the four liters I emptied

Second loosen the top cooler line and added a clear hose to my four liter clear container

Third, started the engine-it took about 15 seconds to empty out two-liters of oil. I'm only doing two liters at a time, so I can fill the transmission, but not over fill. The oil coming is the old oil. I had to stop because all I had were seven liters of oil. I think I need about four liters of oil to finish the Job.

Martin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts