Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

When did your "life time tranny fluid fail"?

• 100k to 120k

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 120k to 160k

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 160k to 200k

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 200k +

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my fluid changed and I now sleep better at night. But I am curious to know how long the "Life Time Fluid" is lasting out there. I want to see a range of failures for those who have decided not to change the fluid.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, acarter. You left off the <100K option. ;)

I'm hopeful that most people here will have adopted the wisdom of changing the fluid, so the poll will be sparsely answered for that reason. However, you could plug in UncleCameron for the 160K mark if I remember correctly; his went out with a bang, not a whimper.

In the category of the exception proving the rule, Kajtek1 has to hold some kind of record for 722.6xx transmissions that lasted a long while without service. ;)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It still disturbs me that we hear of some Dealers who still preach the Life Time Fluid trash and refuse to offer the trans service. I could not imagine spending 2k to 3k on a new transmission because I was told that it would last forever an not to touch it. Or, it could be that I dont know the correct definition of Life Time.:rolleyes: They could make more money suggesting that service at 60K and 120K to every customer, rather than waiting for the poor guy to walk in who needs a new transmission for 3k.

My little rant for the day:mad:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
It still disturbs me that we hear of some Dealers who still preach the Life Time Fluid trash and refuse to offer the trans service. I could not imagine spending 2k to 3k on a new transmission because I was told that it would last forever an not to touch it. Or, it could be that I dont know the correct definition of Life Time.:rolleyes: They could make more money suggesting that service at 60K and 120K to every customer, rather than waiting for the poor guy to walk in who needs a new transmission for 3k.

My little rant for the day:mad:
It's actually worse than that; the last couple of dealer stories I heard re: replacement, one would not use a rebuilt transmission and the bill was about 7 or 8 thou (whether they were putting in a new transmission or rebuilding the existing one wasn't clear); the other wouldn't handle it at all and referred the customer to the indie shop they used, which would only rebuild but not install a rebuilt.

I have to think the dealers don't like being in the middle of this either. On the one hand you have to "respect" the manufacturer and it's specifications and recommendations; the other hand, however, has to care properly for customers. After all if the dealers are saying one thing then the media would pick up on it and some dealers would probably lose their affiliations. It's easy for us to sit back and say "bums!", but we're only a microcosm of the larger issues. In part I think that is why you see a lot of indie shops that are started by a couple of "disgruntled" MB techs, that way they can go out and serve the customers without having to deal with manufacturer media hype. :)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I am curious what your poll reveals. I feel fortunate to have been a member of this forum when this issue was cussed and discussed. As a reminder, I had my partial change done at 58,000 and have had no problems since (had none before that I noticed anyway). I am totally convinced that we need to have this done, but the flush vs. non-flush for those of us who do not have the TC drain still has me wondering.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Dealer

would rather replace with a new trans,last i looked 6500bucks before labor.
Change it ,do it right and rest easy.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One question deserves another.

By the looks of the voting there are more failures from cars that did not have services at 200k and up. I wonder how many trans failures occurred on cars that did have the service?

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
The data so far is pretty limited...

I do agree with Greg that there should have been an under 100K mile category as well. I seem to recall a good number of anecdotal posts here on BW re "early" transmission failure and bad ATF.

This poll would more likely get more traffic/responses if it was placed in the general Mercedes forum. Of course then, you will get false positives from newbies who report on the failure of the transmission on their 1975 240D...

Just a thought, anyway...

JR

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
By the looks of the voting there are more failures from cars that did not have services at 200k and up. I wonder how many trans failures occurred on cars that did have the service?
I'm not too certain how many reliable conclusions you can draw from three votes. ;)

When the revised poll is done (lol) it might also ask how many people did the service regularly and have had (1) failure or (2) no problems. In other words it would be interesting to see who did and did not have service and who did and did not experience problems ... as well as when. And of course it should include the catch-all option: "I never vote in these things because I don't like polls" or the one recently offered by MM: "I'm too lazy to vote". :D

I realize I'm rambling (no, no scotch), but given how few miles I put on my car I'm just trying to find a sub-sub-category so I can vote...unless it turns out I'm too lazy. (I couldn't find a smiley that was sleeping, so...)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Actually, MM, my current favorite is cussed and discussed... :)

·
Registered
W210 E230 & W124 260E
14 Posts
I agree.

would rather replace with a new trans,last i looked 6500bucks before labor.
Change it ,do it right and rest easy.
ohlord:bowdown:
but some dealers actually look after their customers :D If you intend to keep the vehicle long term why take the risk of the trans failing? Its a straight forward DIY and there is a good stick on this forum. Don't think you will get too many responses to your survey.:)

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
855 Posts
i changed mine at about 96K miles (December) and am at 98K now. I didn't really notice a big difference in performance but i went with recommendations on this board to have the fluid changed, NOT flushed, and I'm happy I did it. didn't really cost that much and it's owrth the peace of mind. ALL cars need to have the fluid replaced at some point if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. I plan on keeping this car until it hits at least 200K miles. I'll be driving around with it in 2028, god willing, with an antique plate on it :) knock on birds-eye maple!

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont think i did a very good job of asking the appropriate questions. Lets let this poll die and i will re poll with better questions later.:eek:

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2002 ML500
1,982 Posts
If I got less than 250K miles out of my tranny, with proper maintenance, I would be dissapointed.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
So is the opinion that the 722.6 gearbox is a more unreliable gearbox than earlier MB gearboxes and requires more maintenance than the other generations? Just wondering since the 4 spd auto on my 190E went 226,000 miles without ever changing the oil or even adding any oil. And the oil was still totally clean at that mileage.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Actually, MM, my current favorite is cussed and discussed... :)
I think that's a pretty good description of my "Email from MBUSA about transmission service" thread. Andy Warhol might call it my "200+ posts of fame" - or something like that. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
So is the opinion that the 722.6 gearbox is a more unreliable gearbox than earlier MB gearboxes and requires more maintenance than the other generations? Just wondering since the 4 spd auto on my 190E went 226,000 miles without ever changing the oil or even adding any oil. And the oil was still totally clean at that mileage.
I can only assume that's true, but what was Daimler's recommendation for transmission service on your 190E? Did they at least provide you with a dipstick and not that pesky lockpin w/no dipstick that seals our fill tube?

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
855 Posts
the 722.6 is a bit more sophisticated too, at least the 2000-up, meaning it's driver-adaptable. not sure if that would make a difference. i think most of us would be fine without ever changing the flluid but it's a good preventive measure.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,710 Posts
I just had my fluid changed and I now sleep better at night. .
Now I wonder what vacuuming the interior might bring ;)
I did my FULL transmission fluid exchange (let's say I succeeded 97%) at 240 k.
Seeing clean filter and clean pan I would consider it premature. Fact is, that on new Valvoline fluid the transmission is smother.
The old fluid had some heavy weight residues at the bottom of the pan.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts