Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 300 cd turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1985 300 cdt. Transmission converted to 240d manual transmission with 240d flywheel. Driveshaft shortened and balanced on center bearing. It becomes nervous at 1,800 rpm on 3rd and 4th gear. any conversion had the same issue

·
Registered
85 300 cd turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
immedietely after the transplant the idle went up to 1,100 rpm at idle so i re-adjusted it to 800 rpm warm. someone said that it might be the injector is adjusted to the heavier auto tranny with all the fluid, and i'll have to live with it

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did you neutrally balance the Flywheel? I had mine done at car quest for about 30 dollars. Not all flywheels are neutral from the factory, as they where originally balanced with the crankshaft.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1984 209D. i just pulled the transmission on my van which has the same 4-speed manual transmission as an early (-'80) 240D. my engine is same as 300D, which i'm assuming is the same as your 300CDT? i noticed that my throw out bearing is different than the 240. the bearing that my van needs is larger front to back than the 240 uses. i wonder if you have the correct throw out bearing and if this could be a factor?

·
Registered
1983 240D, 1974 240D
501 Posts
Did you balance the new flywheel (so that it had the same balance as the old one)?
this and spamman and dr No questions are crucially important for vibration. The 240 flywheel must be match balanced to the driven plate/flywheel that was originally on the 5cyl, and must be marked and installed in the same orientation on the crank as well to maintain the factory balance. Some driven plates are neutrally balanced, some are weighted with the crank depending on year, application, ect.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Whats "nervous" mean? Need a better description on the problem. I have done 4 swaps now and have yet to balance a single fw.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Indy I go to has done many swaps, and swaps 275s and automatics with disturbing regularity. His opinion is a 5 cyl needs a 5cyl manual flywheel. He does not match balance the flywheels, just bolts them on.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Indy I go to has done many swaps, and swaps 275s and automatics with disturbing regularity. His opinion is a 5 cyl needs a 5cyl manual flywheel. He does not match balance the flywheels, just bolts them on.
Flywheel is matched to the engine not the transmission. On the om60x engines they are keyed which is a very nice feature :D

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
OP, can you describe issue more clearly?

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Flywheel is matched to the engine not the transmission. On the om60x engines they are keyed which is a very nice feature :D
So you think the factory balanced the flywheels to match the engine when it was built? Seems like the factory would balance the individual components, not balance them as a set. One could match balance the flywheels, but if the components themselves were balanced to begin with...

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
So you think the factory balanced the flywheels to match the engine when it was built? Seems like the factory would balance the individual components, not balance them as a set. One could match balance the flywheels, but if the components themselves were balanced to begin with...
This is all romous as I have not seen a doc on it BUT.

Older models the FW was balanced with the crank. Newer models the components were neutral.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I doubt it was year and more model/engine revision. No clue tho, late 70s?

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
The FSM claims that the crankshaft, balance plate and flywheel are balanced in one assembly on the OM615 and OM616 engines. The OM617 engine "is balanced as a whole, i.e. the entire engine is balanced on a balancing machine".

See 03 Cylinder Crankcase and Crank Assembly - OM617
there: 03-440 and 03-450

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Govert, by searching through your link I can also find a similar page in the FSM that flywheel should be matched balanced on the M110. Did not balance when we swapped the transmissions so....

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
85 300 cd turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nervousness @ 1800rpm meaning it has this fine buziness then goes away @ 2000rpm seemingly smoothening out

1 - 18 of 18 Posts