1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes benz, c180, petrol, automatic
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

I need a sincere advice...

My car was making a rattling noise on 15 rpm on both accelaration and deceleration. I show it to MB mechanic and he told it is tarin valve noise and repairs is £ 800.

He told me it si not a serious problem and he has seen cars making this noise for 10 years withouit problem. I am not keen on spending. If senior members tell me whether he si true that tarin vavle noise is not serous thg.

AS if it is serious i ill sell the car staright away.

Regards

Retina

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
Without hearing/seeing it, we really can't know. Do you trust your mechanic? I have owned a car that had valve noise for two years before I got around to fixing the lifters, wasn't that keen on pulling the cams. But there are plenty of ways to end up with a cam-speed noise, some of them minor and some very serious. If you are worried, get a second mechanical opinion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks zeet

i bought this car 3 months ago and unfortunately didnot notice this rattle when i bought.

I have done almost 3800 miles after the oil and filter change. To my bare non technical ears the rattle has not changed in last 3 months.

I have shown it to two different mechanics both said it is train valve noise which is caused by poor oil supply but one also said this noise is from upper part of engine and can be 'tepit' noise.

both told it is not an immediate problem but i donot know how long it has been there for.

car run very smooth and gives good mpg but i am worried if i am siting on a time bomg ready to explode any time or never?

can u ppl tell me what are the chances of it going wrong if the noise is not incresing?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Send your oil out for Used Oil Analysis. You will have to take a sample with an oil extractor. In the USA one of the good companies is Blackstone Labs, but I believe there is also an excellent company in the UK that does them. They will be able to check things like wear metals in the oil and tell you very much about the condition of your engine. It's one of the most non invasive and inexpensive ways to find internal engine condition details.

·
Registered
2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed! And now a 2011 GLK 350 4Matic in Palladium Silver!
1,122 Posts
It is not a time bomb. Best case scenario, you have it fixed soon (within the next six-to-eight months) and tappets are all that is needed. If you drag it out too long, the slapping that the camshafts do on the tappets may cause the camshafts to wear. Also, although rare, it can cause damage to the valve tips, which will cause undue wear on the new tappets. I am a cylinder head technician by trade. I have been doing this job full-time since 1998, part-time since 1995 and have been workingfor my present employer for the last 21 years of my 29 year life. I have seen this before.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I love that a cylinder head technician posts here! I always used to love adjusting lifters because when you did it right, the engine sounded like a happy machine. Now I enjoy that the engine adjusts itself. The wear you talk about should show in UOA, right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for ur replies

So my understanding from reading above post is that it is tappet rather than train valve causing this rattle at 15 rpm?

Do the location of noise of train valve come from top end of engine?

Patdon my ignorance i am in medical profession..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
another question...

1.Can frequent changing of oil help dampen this problem?

2. I normally use 10 40 oil for my car, if i use 5 40 oil will it help or it is not recommended

Regards

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
We don't know - we haven't heard the noise. It's likely to be tappet noise, but that's really just a guess.

Frequent oil changes might help, but too frequent and you will just be upping wear. My recommendation was sincere: get a used oil analysis of your current oil, it is cheap and will tell you much about what condition things are in. You are of course free to disregard it.

So long as both of those oils are 229.5, it should have little effect, but certainly shouldn't hurt. If you're not using 229.5 rated oil, switch out for it now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts