Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there has installed a trailer hitch on their W203 in North America. I understand its not uncommon in Europe but up here in Canada the dealer says no hitches unless its an ML. I'd love to pull a small utility trailer for camping etc, nothing too heavy or anything.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
There is a tow bar for the sedan. It is option number 550. I don't know the part numbe...

There is a tow bar for the sedan. It is option number 550. I don't know the part number. You might have to get it from a dealer in the UK. It costs about 500 pounds.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
That won't work Lynn...

There is a tow bar for the sedan. It is option number 550. I don't know the part number. You might have to get it from a dealer in the UK. It costs about 500 pounds.
Their hitches in Europe are different than those in North America. They look like fish hooks versus the squarish ones that we have here. It was a good idea anyway though.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
I don't think you can...

I was wondering if anyone out there has installed a trailer hitch on their W203 in North America. I understand its not uncommon in Europe but up here in Canada the dealer says no hitches unless its an ML. I'd love to pull a small utility trailer for camping etc, nothing too heavy or anything.
For liability reasons, it seems, MBUSA and MB Canada do not have hitches for any of their cars. It's probably due to the fact that some fool would tow a 4000lbs trailer with their C-class, get into an accident and end up suing MB.

You might be able to find an aftermarket one by Hidden Hitch though, so I would look around. Make sure that they do not weld anything on however. The most you can hope for is probably 1500-2000lbs, I would guess.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
There is a factory hitch for North America. I've seen a 240 with one....

There is a factory hitch for North America. I've seen a 240 with one.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
I don't think it's a factory hitch...

There is a factory hitch for North America. I've seen a 240 with one.
MBUSA and MB Canada seem to specify no towing with these cars. IIRC, Consumer Reports also reported the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts