Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called the MB dealer today, asked to give me the quote to install the trail hitch receiver at the dealership on my 2005 G55.. He called me back and advised that there are NO hitch receivers available for AMG body style... I could not believe it.:confused:

He also mentioned that it might have to do with towing limitations for G55.. I looked at my book and could not find any limitation.

Please advise if this is true, or am I being misinformed?

·
Registered
2005 G55KGE
6 Posts
It is the exact same hitch used for the G500 and all other MBUSA G's. What limitations??? Maybe ask him to recommend another dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the exact same hitch used for the G500 and all other MBUSA G's. What limitations??? Maybe ask him to recommend another dealer.
He said "you cannot install tow kit for G-500 on AMG G55 body" I am not sure there is any difference in body style between G-500 and G55 when it comes to the installation of the tow kit/ Right?

·
Registered
2005 G55KGE
6 Posts
When I traded my 2003 G500 in for my 2005 G55, I had them reinstall the hitch on the G55 with no problem what so ever.

·
Registered
BRABUS G36 & G320 LWB
694 Posts
Contact --- Vlad at FourbyFourclub

Called the MB dealer today, asked to give me the quote to install the trail hitch receiver at the dealership on my 2005 G55.. He called me back and advised that there are NO hitch receivers available for AMG body style... I could not believe it.:confused:

He also mentioned that it might have to do with towing limitations for G55.. I looked at my book and could not find any limitation.

sakhalin76,

I recommend you contact Vlad at FourbyFour.

"Will fit all G-Class from 2002 to 2009 (G500, G55)."

Link: Mercedes G500 Trailer Hitch Kit.

Respectfully,

James Van Thach

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I m going to the dealer now. will see what he says. If he still says no, I will get one from Vlad and install one myself.

Thank you for all the information.

·
Registered
2005 G55KGE
6 Posts
You are better off going to Vlad anyways... BTW, where are you located and if you don't mind, who is the dealer?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are better off going to Vlad anyways... BTW, where are you located and if you don't mind, who is the dealer?
I am in Houston, the dealer is MB Houston North. Just got back from there, told the servise guy to give me the estimate on the tow kit, he said he will give me a call.

I am pretty sure I will go with VLAD and install it myself. will see. I am just wondering what this service guy will come back to me.

The person who told me that it would not fit AMG was the parts guy..

·
Registered
2005 G55KGE
6 Posts

BTW... All Long wheel base G's are rated to tow 3500KG regardless of 320CDI, 500/550, or 55K engine.

·
Registered
1993 600 SEC, 2001 G500
119 Posts
I did alot of research on getting an authorized receiver from MBZ in Germany through
the dealer and it is much more expensive than I expected. I have seen identical receivers
from other companies for alot less, but instead I had a custom welded receiver installed
with all the connections and wires for about $440 from Eckhards in Southern California.
It is warranted to be stronger than Mercedes bolt on receiver, So far it is fantastic!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did alot of research on getting an authorized receiver from MBZ in Germany through
the dealer and it is much more expensive than I expected. I have seen identical receivers
from other companies for alot less, but instead I had a custom welded receiver installed
with all the connections and wires for about $440 from Eckhards in Southern California.
It is warranted to be stronger than Mercedes bolt on receiver, So far it is fantastic!
Wow, that's interesting!! do you have pictures of the receiver installed? What is it rated for?

·
Registered
2005 G55
17 Posts
Just had the factory hitch installed with no problems whatsoever. Hitch and wire harness were about $785 from dealer not including installation.
Ray

·
Registered
87 Posts
surprised nobody has said it yet, but it might have to do with the body kit.
Not sure if there is much, if any difference, but that's all I can think of.

·
Registered
2005 G55
17 Posts
I just re-read my above post and realized I put "wine" instead of "wire" harness. I guess you know what I really had on my mind!
Ray

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mopagi,

When you sold your 2003 G500 and got your 2005 G55...I'd love to know what the differences were to you (comparing the two vehicles. I'm looking to purchase a G (but haven't decided which to get G500 or G55 (2003-2005). I'd really be interested in what your thoughts are between the two vehicles (ride comfort, etc.).

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
2008 G500 Iridium Silver
59 Posts
Best Price for M-B G-Class Hitch

I have a brand new, never used, genuine Mercedes-Benz hitch kit complete with the wiring harness for sale.

$555 including shipping.

Let me know if you're interested in buying it. It's not cheap but nothing with the three-pointed star is.

Please contact me via email as I'm not on this forum anymore. My email address is magicmtndan at hot mail dot com

Thanks

Jason searched on the M-B inventory and there is a limited quantity of these hitches available in the US (he said there are only 8 available). I have heard from another supplier that M-B isn't making any more and they will determine if/when they will make more based on demand. It sounds like they don't keep these things in stock in a warehouse.

If you're thinking about a hitch for your G-wagen I suggest you move quickly as he can get them and his price is the best I've found.

Disclaimer: I'm recommending him/them because I'm buying from them as they have the best delivered price I've found. There is no other relationship other than seller/buyer (customer).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts