Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995 C220
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently own a 95 C220 with 104000 miles, within 1st year had the tranny replaced, frame welded where cracked, control arm bushing ready for replacement, and new wiper motor being delivered today. Not complaining, but wondering if this might be the beginning of a downward spiral.

I am contemplating either selling and or trading in on a newer benz, as I do love the quality feel of the car and have seen some late model SLKs that intrigue me as well as a 2002 C230 2.3L Kompressor Sports Coupe for 10K with 114000 miles

There is a 2006 slk 280 for about 31K with 20,000 miles. I know they are at opposite ends of the spectrum on miles and price, just trying to decide how deep to jump into this, and if those vehicles are dependable (wondering about the Chrysler influence!):eek:

Thanks, Mac

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,490 Posts
You had your frame welded where it cracked? Was the car a salvage title? You've just dumped a bunch of money into it, and you'd never get any of that cash back when you sold/traded. I'd want to keep the car and drive it to try and recoup some of my investment. Having said that, I'd have it very carefully inspected because if your frame cracked you could have much scarier problems that make the car unsafe.

As far as "Chrysler Influence" is concerned, there was no technology transfer from Chrysler to MB. It was all the other way around. MB's quality problems at that point in time were all their own doing.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
You had your frame welded where it cracked? Was the car a salvage title? You've just dumped a bunch of money into it, and you'd never get any of that cash back when you sold/traded. I'd want to keep the car and drive it to try and recoup some of my investment. Having said that, I'd have it very carefully inspected because if your frame cracked you could have much scarier problems that make the car unsafe.

As far as "Chrysler Influence" is concerned, there was no technology transfer from Chrysler to MB. It was all the other way around. MB's quality problems at that point in time were all their own doing.
i agree, sounds like you have all the big ticket items taken care of for the c220.

anything else that ive had to replace has been all little items.

·
Registered
1995 C220
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, as for the frame, no, it is a clean title and was thoroughly inspected prior to purchase it cracked at the left front control arm connection point and appears to probably be from a Pennsylvania pothole. If you have ever driven in this state you would soon realize that the potholes here can eat a car whole and easily do more than crack a frame!

Hopefully that is the last of it. I do think it is a decent car, just very plain jane...

·
Registered
1995 C220
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you were local I would probably look, but with you being in S. Georgia... I'm not sure yet what I'm looking for, just getting the itch for something a bit more sporty than the 220. Saw a local 02 clk 430 ragtop that was quite the headturner. Your CLK is a good looking car.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
haha thanks, i just figured i would throw it out there. im trying to sell it, but not having much luck. maybe the price is too high.. i dont know, but i know i need an suv or a truck and i need the clk gone so i have somewhere to park another vehicle lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.