Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '06 R350 with just Sunroof package . I had driven less than 8000 miles and the car drives great .However ,the size of the car is drastically limiting its usage.
I have a tough time backing up and parking the car .Not to mention, my wife literally cannot use the car as she finds it near impossible to park and backup( She is 5'3) .I strongly believe Mercedes shoud have made rear view camera/pacrk assist standard considering the size of the car.

I visited my nearest Acura dealer inquiring about the '08 MDX and test drove it .But my honest feedback on the MDX is , it is no way near the feel of driving a Mercedes.But it is very compact and drives like a car(Which I lvve it as I am missing it in the R).The dealer was willing to offer 30 K for the trade and the difference for a base model MDX is 7K (Approx). After evaluating the proposal from the Acura dealer , we decided that it is not worth downgrading to Acura and instead wanted to trade for a used ML with comparable miles

I was looking at the inventory of used ML's in my area and I found quite a few 06 ML350 's between 15 and 27 k miles and they were all retailing from 35 to 42k. I am looking at loosing a couple thousand dollars to make this trade happen . Any suggestions and expert opinion on my trade proposal :confused:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Unfortunately the R's are not holding their value like other Mercedes in the U.S. The design is not as popular. I believe your assessment is correct. Maybe you can sell it for a little more money on your own and then buy a used ML. Alternatively aftermarket backup cameras are available, but it's still a long car and perhaps not ideal, depending on where you live. The ML does park quite nicely in the urban environments of the big city. The slightly shorter length makes a world of difference for me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you decide to switch to an ML, then take a test drive first. Then make sure you get at least the Parktronic if not the rear view mirror package. I have an E Wagon without parktronic, and it is also tricky to judge. In our ML we have parktronic which works really well.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You talk about trading, but in your case the best bet would be to sell the R yourself to a private party and negotiate hard on the next ML

Yes, I have seen that even in my area there are several ML's and they seem to be holding their value, but a good deal can always be had. Search hard and have patience

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have enjoyed 2 ML's and can recommend one if the size is right for you . One thing to consider if you can wait a bit, is the new smaller GLK coming this summer. If it has a diesel option I will be looking at ordering one myself

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Why are you trading a nearly new car in? That is like handing the dealer cash and saying "I don't want this". Sell the R yourself!! You will get retail for it, not wholesale (as that is what the dealer is offering you). Then go negotiate the purchase of which vehicle you want. I would steer clear of the 06 ML, but how much worse can you get on a reliability scale then an R class? Not much. So anything is going to be better over the long term. The Acura is going to be much reliable and much less repair prone then any ML. It will also hold its value better.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Trading or selling the R is a very expensive propostion either way. The gap between retail (selling it yourself) and trading in todays market is not as big as some think.

Try to exhaust your options with backup cameras, Hitchcams, etc. on the R-class first.

Last resort is a boring Acura MDX, with it's bloated body and fake shield grill, no thanks.:D The MDX is a nice and overpriced Odessy/Pilot.:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in a small city and it is very unlikely I can find a buyer for my R. I talked to a few dealers and found out they are offering around 5% less than KBB trade value .And to my surprise they wanted the retail price for 06 ML which is ridiculous.No one is even intrested to negotiate :mad:

I am thinking of negotiating hard on new 08 ML320

Looks like I am running out of options here

You talk about trading, but in your case the best bet would be to sell the R yourself to a private party and negotiate hard on the next ML

Yes, I have seen that even in my area there are several ML's and they seem to be holding their value, but a good deal can always be had. Search hard and have patience

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
I live in a small city and it is very unlikely I can find a buyer for my R. I talked to a few dealers and found out they are offering around 5% less than KBB trade value .And to my surprise they wanted the retail price for 06 ML which is ridiculous.No one is even intrested to negotiate :mad:

The 5% off of KBB trade-in is about right for trades of so-called luxury/premium vehicles in this market today.

They need to sharpen their pencil on the 06ML and discount at least a couple grand. Note: CPO will give you about 2 years warranty, plan to pay to extend it 1 or 2 years depending on how long you plan on keeping the car.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts

Looks like I am running out of options here
Have you even tried selling it? You won't have a clue until you list. I used to live year round just outside a small mini city and I had no problems selling high end vehicles for over their book value. The current economic problems and lack of interest in such an unreliable and repair prone vehicle will make it hard to sell, but you should be able to get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
R class has a few issues making it harder to sell on your own:

1. R-class is not a popular model, it's a slow seller that has to be heavily discounted when sold new. All this and low demand only lowers resale value.

2. Since MB's (and many other European cars) are not reliable, smart user car buyers prefer CPO vehicles with strong factory-backed warranty. Buyers gladly pay a premium for vehicles that make the grade and carry that factory-backed warranty.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Let me clarify one point here:

2. Since MB's (and many other European cars) are not reliable [any more], smart user car buyers prefer CPO vehicles with strong factory-backed warranty [or buy older over engineered Mercedes that were very reliable]. Buyers gladly pay a premium for vehicles that make the grade and carry that factory-backed warranty.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Let me clarify one point here:
Good point about older MB's being reliable (although can't say the same for older Jags, Audis, etc.). MB can't live on past performance, all the stuff of legends sounds great in brochures, but the current cars need to compete and be reliable. I'm noticing that the 08's are showing early signs of reliability and very good workmanship, which is certainly promising.

Today is 2008 and MB knows they have to get with the program. The new C-class shows that they are serious about competing, hopefully we will see more signs of this.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
... we decided that it is not worth downgrading to Acura and instead wanted to trade for a used ML with comparable miles
Last resort is a boring Acura MDX, with it's bloated body and fake shield grill, no thanks.:D The MDX is a nice and overpriced Odessy/Pilot.:D
LMAO!!!!!

eewwww, there it is again ....

LOL!

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Nice fancy Honda product.:):)

After 7 years/mega miles with the ML320 you probably had enough of the MB problems.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It all happened so fast .

I traded my R for a brand new ML320 CDI. The vehicle drives great . I cant believe that it feels so nimble and agile

Nice fancy Honda product.:):)

After 7 years/mega miles with the ML320 you probably had enough of the MB problems.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
It all happened so fast .

I traded my R for a brand new ML320 CDI. The vehicle drives great . I cant believe that it feels so nimble and agile
The dealer is most likely doing this right now :dance:

Because they just stole a nearly new R and sold another ML at MSRP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts