Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
07 GL450 PE, 06 SLK55
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really appreciate it if you guys could tell me what a fair trade in value on my 2005 G500, Black on black with 10,500 miles would be.
Kelly Blue book Says 60K, a lot of depreciation for a vehicle that is only a year old with low mileage. I am getting at least that amount from my dealer.

I figure, if the car has depreciated so much now, it is likely to lose more after the G has been updated with 7-speed transmission and interior appointments. Also, I used to have a 2003G before, the 2005 one, and it is time for a change.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Are you planning on selling it?? Why?? Do you have a lemon?? All big SUVs nowadays will drop in value a lot because of demand is low due to rising gas prices.

·
Registered
07 GL450 PE, 06 SLK55
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am planning on getting a 4-matic S550 in Jan or Feb after it is available. I am afraid I am going to lose out considerably on the G with the introduction of the new appointments by the end of the year. My dealer located a GL, premier edition that I can have within 15-20 days if I want it. The premier edition with all it's extra appointments like nappa leather etc is quite desireable now, Hence....trading the G later in the year on the S is likely to cost me more in losses than trading this in a couple months.

While the GL does not have any of the curb appeal that the G has it is very comfortable on the inside and I am ok switching into this after having had 2 G's....I will miss it's iconic design aspect, but I am definitely sold on the comfort of the GL as I dont off road much anymore.

As far as my G, no it has not been a lemon......By 2003 had gremlins after 15K and was hence replaced by the 2005 that only had one minor problem of a faulty sensor that had to be replaced.

·
Registered
'01 E55, '02 E55 Estate, '05 E55 Estate, '07 R63 '08 G55, '14 E63S Estate
41 Posts
All G's are about $5K behind true wholesale Kelly Blue Book. Some dealers will not recognize the low miles as an addition. If you are really getting above that for a trade you are doing very well. Keep in mind that your dealer may be showing you a higher number on the trade and not giving you the best deal on the new car. New S550's are available at $2500 off right now....without haggling.

I also think that you have seen the biggest % of depreciation already. The first 2 years are a killer. Its also an expensive car to start with so the $ hurt more than the %. The new GL is very nice and comfortable to drive but it isn't even in the same class as the G. I'd keep the '05 G.

·
Registered
07 GL450 PE, 06 SLK55
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am getting 60K on the trade, I cant get any money off on the GL since it is the premiere edition. I could get a discount if I went with a regular spec GL. But IMHO, I would not be considering this car if not for the premiere edition.

·
Registered
'15 G63; '10 G55K - Sold; '05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
479 Posts
$60K is a GREAT trade-in ... MB Dealers are offering them certified for $63K to $65K, and you can always buy below "offer". Your Dealer will make no money selling yours ... unless he finds a sucker on MBUSA website (joke pricing for buyers too lazy or stupid to search the net)

·
Registered
07 GL450 PE, 06 SLK55
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my 2003 (bought 2002 nov) which I traded in 2004 (nov) on the 2005 did much better. Also, the G in 2003 was a bit cheaper. I got about the same at that time, but I had the car for almost 2 years and it had 18K on it.

·
Registered
03 G500
56 Posts
Hi,
I’m not an expert but keep in mind that the G was sold easier in 2003-2005 than now. Now the GL is the new bait for the MB whales. The G is uncomfortable and doesn’t ride like a Navigator or a Lexus. The GL has DVD’s, tons of cup holders etc…
BTW the dealer is thinking the same way you are. Better get rid off the G NOW before it is too late.
I’m hoping that the minute the GL hits the lots this fall and MB announces the diesel edition the G will hit rock bottom (BUY…BUY…BUY)
The Analyst

BTW...You are getting a KBB trade value (that is rare...) Edmunds has the car for $57.8K

1 - 9 of 9 Posts