Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 M117 R107, 07 W211 OM642
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal: I have an 84 300SD, 222K, original trans, some wear and tear such as rust spots developing (small tho) on the two front doors near the center molding at the front of the door. Also a leaking trunk, and just had to replace a rear control arm due to it being completely rusted through. My dad has gained possession of an 85 500 SEL with 227K. Its mine as long as I'm willing to spend some time helping replace the trans and AC compressor. The downsides to the car are the following: 227 K miles on a non diesel engine (I don't know much about the reliability of the gas models compared to my diesel), need to replace trans, ac compressor; the dash has severe cracks compared to mine, but the wood is basically in the exact same condition (bowing up in the center behind the steering column, missing the piece over the passenger side vent on the side) but it is of the burl walnut variety instead of whatever standard fare i seem to have. There isn't any rust on the doors, but there is some on the back (I can't remember if it was on the trunk lid or below, I'll check it out again soon); the hood is dented in. Overall, if the cars were new, it'd be a big step up with features such as all four seats being heated, power headrests, longer, much faster, working alarm. I could trade trunk lids, and hoods with my current car (not sure about the trans or AC tho). What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm thing that - Both cars sound thoroughly beat, worth about 16 cents total. Like choosing between lethal injection or a firing squad.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Our Charming MRTIKKET [:D] you have to realy think about that one... It's up to you what you'd want...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
OK, How is this? There seems to be no upside to owning either car.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
How about this, transplant the engine and tranny from the SD over to the SEL, have a LWB diesel with a OM617, heated seats, etc...

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
H-TownBenzoboy - 5/12/2005 10:38 PM

How about this, transplant the engine and tranny from the SD over to the SEL, have a LWB diesel with a OM617, heated seats, etc...
Nice idea! Only work though if he doesn't have to deal with emissions. At least you can't do that around here anyway.

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
Lethal injection or firing squad for MRTIKKET?

If I were you I'd stick with the diesel. The other car being new to you, you don't know what other issues it has or what could develop. You know that diesel will run forever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts