Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, brand new here today. I see that the normal thing to do is introduce yourself to everyone, and give a listing of your german auto's.
I own Underground Audio & Performance Inc. and Underground Auto Inc. in Kansas.

I'm a car dealer and have been for about ten years. I have normal cars to sell on the lot... but, the whole reason I became a car dealer is so that I could "feed my addiction" and pick up kick ass cars for my own collection and make enough money to pay for them... (dream career for the auto-lover)

2000 ML 430/ 107K, nice & stock.
1997 E420/ 117K, 20" chromes, 3.5" drop
1997 C220/ 52K, stock for now, (just ordered 3.5" drop & 18" rims & tires)
1996 GTI VR6/ 126K, modded, 60 shot NOS, slammed, low to mid 13 sec. car
1986 635 CSI/ 148K, BEAUTIFUL car, tranny just went out, 2" drop, 17" momo's
1988 911 carrera/ 87K, updated front and rear 2001 look, 2002 carrera rims
1987 951.../ 102K, new motor, new interior, new body mods & paint, 18" rims & tires, needing to find 3" drop kit... still some work to be done to finish.
1965 Bug/ great looking, slammed, too many mods to list... nice little runner

Those are the "german" makes. The whole reason that I got on this site is to try to find the answer to a question... go figure huh?

The traction control on my E420 doesn't actually SHUT OFF. I think they all do that, but... The car has an ass-load of good useable torque, and will easily roast the 20's for a brief second or two... then kills it's power. What do I have to do (or get done) in order to shut that annoying thing off for good? Also, the speed limiter. I'll be rollin down the highway somewhere between 130mph & 140 and the damn things just gives up... but the car's drivetrain is very happy and capable to take me to the 160 to 180 mark without problems... I'm assuming this is all in the ECU and TCU systems... but, I want it gone, if at all possible. We race these cars from city to city... (dangerous, I know... but whatever?!?) and the suspension on the 420 at those speeds handles better than my ZX twin turbo, my supra turbo, even my rx-7 twin or fox body... I just want to be able to run my car to it's capability and not be "shut off" by the sensible engineers from MB.

ANY real ideas or tech tips... possible real solutions??? Thank you.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,844 Posts
srackunderground said:
I just want to be able to run my car to it's capability and not be "shut off" by the sensible engineers from MB.

I think I am going to like you a lot. :D
Welcome to the forum. You are one lucky guy. Even in CA finding empty road where you can step on it is difficult, I am upset as well, that our ML320 has governor at 115, while my E320 at 125. I had long talk with MB USA about it few years ago. They send me to aftermarket chip company. I gave up. They say it is limited by tire ratings, but the "silent true" is, that government stays behind it. I think they don't want to spend the money on equipping Highway Patrol with few Porsche?
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, I appriciate the aftermarket chip idea... any clue which one I'm supposed to call? Is there such a thing as taking the ECU's out of a faster or more elaborate mercedes and doing a PLUG-N-PLAY. I mess around with a bunch of Honda/Acura products (upgraded motor swaps, changing from OBD2 & 3 motors and electronic systems, back to OBD 1 electronics, then turbo system.) On many of those, if you want them to run & accept the newer motor and horsepower upgrades, an ECU change is a must... and it's more or less a harness change and different ECU.

·
Registered
37,844 Posts
You are talking about different animals. I also own truck with PowerStroke diesel.
On Ford forum you'll find hundreds of pages how to modify the 230 hp engine up to 550 hp.
Mercedes owners are usually conservative. They don't mess with complex cars, because that might turn extremely expensive and the cars will not compete with "5 seconds" Hondas anyway.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
srackunderground said:
Also, the speed limiter. I'll be rollin down the highway somewhere between 130mph & 140 and the damn things just gives up... but the car's drivetrain is very happy and capable to take me to the 160 to 180 mark without problems...

sorry man, you seem like an alright guy, but if you think your 270bhp 3600lb, large frontal area sedan is gonna hit 180mph, I have some waterfront property in kansas to sell you...

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,431 Posts
srackunderground said:
Hello, brand new here today. I see that the normal thing to do is introduce yourself to everyone, and give a listing of your german auto's.

I'm a car dealer and have been for about ten years. I have normal cars to sell on the lot... but, the whole reason I became a car dealer is so that I could "feed my addiction" and pick up kick ass cars for my own collection and make enough money to pay for them... (dream career for the auto-lover)

1987 951.../ 102K, new motor, new interior, new body mods & paint, 18" rims & tires, needing to find 3" drop kit... still some work to be done to finish.

Those are the "german" makes. The whole reason that I got on this site is to try to find the answer to a question... go figure huh?

The traction control on my E420 doesn't actually SHUT OFF. I think they all do that, but... The car has an ass-load of good useable torque, and will easily roast the 20's for a brief second or two... then kills it's power. What do I have to do (or get done) in order to shut that annoying thing off for good? Also, the speed limiter. I'll be rollin down the highway somewhere between 130mph & 140 and the damn things just gives up... but the car's drivetrain is very happy and capable to take me to the 160 to 180 mark without problems... I'm assuming this is all in the ECU and TCU systems... but, I want it gone, if at all possible. We race these cars from city to city... (dangerous, I know... but whatever?!?) and the suspension on the 420 at those speeds handles better than my ZX twin turbo, my supra turbo, even my rx-7 twin or fox body... I just want to be able to run my car to it's capability and not be "shut off" by the sensible engineers from MB.

You mean ASR does not get sufficiently shut off when you press "ESP off"?

In that case you could always activate the dyno mode. I find it stupid that people do this but perhaps you want to do it if you feel burning rubber makes sense.

It is true that ASR on the W210 specifically is a bit slow, it turns power off for a too long time. Newer cars are better. Anyway if you put ESP off and press the gas pedal properly, you should be able to run the car properly (I know, ideally it would be nice if the car was able to do all that by itself). If wheels start to spin too much, ASR kicks in as it should. It is no good to let the wheels spin so much (except if it is important for you to show some smoke from the tyres).

·
Registered
37,844 Posts
OliverK said:
sorry man, you seem like an alright guy, but if you think your 270bhp 3600lb, large frontal area sedan is gonna hit 180mph, I have some waterfront property in kansas to sell you...
It is "American image" that you need 500 HP for the speed.
I was driving 90 HP Ford Focus WAGON in Alps and clocked it with gps at 212 kph. Speedo was well over 220.
That is over 130 mph on 90 HP in a wagon.
Sure had long downgrade with no traffic. ;)

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
Kajtek1 said:
It is "American image" that you need 500 HP for the speed.
I was driving 90 HP Ford Focus WAGON in Alps and clocked it with gps at 212 kph. Speedo was well over 220.
That is over 130 mph on 90 HP in a wagon.
Sure had long downgrade with no traffic. ;)
I disagree. As im sure you know, it takes exponentially more power to accelerate the faster you go. I.e. its gonna take a lot more power to get from 170 to 180 than it is from 120 to 130.

While fairly aerodynamic, the drag on such a big frontal area will require a ton of power. While I think the car could probably easily get to 155, I think thats where the story ends on a flat road.

Im also not sure if the car has enough gear to get to 180mph.

·
Registered
37,844 Posts
Sure it took over 1000 HP to reach the 250 mph in Bugatti.
Fact that 100+ liter tank last for 11 minutes makes you thinking as well :)
Than I am not talking flat speedway, but going downhill.
Make sure you have right tire rating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK, I knew I was gonna get a little bit of heat from the "fellas" here, ecspecially because I still think it's somewhat important to roast a set of twenties occasionally. I'm a younger guy. I just sold my chopper business after a ten year run, Underground Choppers Inc. (once wal-mart began selling "chopper" t-shirts and every dirtbag in the world got involved... I just couldn't stomach it anymore) so now I just run my performance shop and car lot... that was just to explain that my mindset is ALL about speed & fun. (be it a mercedes or a moped) the 420 is a nice "family" ride... but, I really enjoy occasionally showing a little mercedes muscle and spanking a camaro, mustang, or even the northstar boys... it would just be nice to fully use the power available in the Mercedes drivetrain as I SEE FIT . I don't know that the car COULD EVER reach the 180mph mark without nitrous & a gear mod... but, I realistically see it having much MORE to give when it hits it speed limiter. When the electronics shuts the car down, it just seems as if THE CAR ITSELF is disappointed, cause she has so much left to show me.

I'm sure that there are benz owners everywhere just cussin me for even considering slamming the car on twenties and putting a stereo system in it that hits 152.4 spl... but, that's what my benz and I agreed to do (ha ha). When I was considering buying the vehicle... I could just look at the car and tell that it was just screaming "help". She was tired of driving slow and pompous...

(Just so that we're all clear. I don't just OWN the machines and drive them as modes of transportation. My vehicles and I have relationships. I'm a "car crazy" kind of fella.)
Again... does anyone KNOW if you can take the car IN somewhere and have the limiters shut off or "stretched"... or get some kind of CHIPS somewhere, or where to send an ecu off and get it modified properly. I think I'd love to drift the benz sometime like I do the supra, the fox-body, the RX-7, and ZX... It would make for a G R E A T picture !!!! (and I think the car would enjoy it at least once... ha ha)

·
Registered
2001 E320
127 Posts
srackunderground said:
I think I'd love to drift the benz sometime like I do the supra, the fox-body, the RX-7, and ZX... It would make for a G R E A T picture !!!! (and I think the car would enjoy it at least once... ha ha)

when it rains i love turning the traction off and drifting parking lots.....

·
Registered
37,844 Posts
amcnair said:
I've never used them, but try these guys:
Powerchip

Not cheap at $690, but removes the limiter and boosts power by ~ 20 bhp. Requires 93 octane, so you would need to buy octane booster in Cali.
That was exiting site, till I've got data sheet for my E320 with info
"Powerchip is not legal in California" :crybaby2:

·
Registered
37,844 Posts
As I said, my E320 has limiter at 125 :)
My average for 500 miles trip from East Bay (of San Francisco) to San Diego suburbans is 6.5 hr plus stops. That is crossing the LA agglomeration off peak hours.
The $400 I spend on good radar detector is the best investment in my car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
srackunderground said:

Could you post a pic of your car? I would really like to see that drop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts