1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I need some advice about car tracking.
Should I invest some money in this device which sounds like an amazing gadget? Does it really work?
I would expect thieves to be able to get around this system before they get caught?
I would appreciate your experience and advice.
Thanks.

·
Registered
SLK200 - Here! ;-)
45 Posts
Hi

I'm taking delivery on my SLK200 in June, I will be fitting Tracker...

You do not advertise it is installed so the person who took your car does not know if one is installed or not...

You should be able to get a good insurance discount for having one fitted, I have found that getting insurance quotes without one is very difficult or v.expensive.

I think it is worth every penny, if stolen you get your car back and with certain options (sat tracking) they can even tell the police where to go looking for it...

Just my opinions, but I would go for it..

Take a look at the Tracker website for full details on all the options available.

Regards

Darren

·
Registered
R171 200K
115 Posts
I put one on mine solely because of the substantial amount it saved me/will continue to save me on insurance.

I don't think you'll get proffesional thieves going after 200s/350s (just my opinion) of this car so having it stolen would be bad luck! Having a tracking device will undoubtably increase your chance of recovering the vehicle, i've seen how they find them on one of those reality police programs a while back. If stolen for shipment to another country chances of getting it back without a tracking device are pretty much nil.

At the end of the day for my 200 i wouldn't have got one if it wasn't saving me money. If i had just purchased a brand new high end exotic then i certainly would.

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Darren,

I am also taking delivery of my SLK 200 in June. Dont take mine! ahahhaaha
Thanks for yrou answer.... it sounds sensible to install tracker... however I am still doubtful....maybe a gap insurance would be better... this way I would get a new car..

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks R171200K,

How much did tracking save you in insurance?
I got a quote for 700 quid for my SLK 200 without tracking which semed pretty reasonable. I will look into different insurance quotes with and without tracking.
Thanks for your help guys.

Paolo

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Hi people, as I've posted before, I'm 48 years old (possibly an 'Old Git(don't feel it)) but I'm paying £320 fuully comp through first alternative.com - OK - I've finally got a clean licence, and I've limited it to\4k miles per year. I've got several friends & coleagues signed up with them, - can't believe how cheap they are.

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
cheapest for me were First Alternative aswell.
tracker not essential.

second cheapest were Liverpool & Victoria - again they didn't give a stuff whether the car had a tracker or not

·
Registered
SLK 350
92 Posts
I second the first alternative suggestion by wolly. I'm 29 have had a company car for the last 6 years and with 10K average a year they only wanted £560. I thought about a tracker but there are plenty of articles out there telling stories of how quickly criminals are getting cars out of the country and that many cars with trackers simply dissapear. The GAP insurance top up is probably worth looking at.

Mercs own highly competitive insurance quote came back at £1800 ???

Plus I would rather not get a stolen and recovered car back, could cause problems when selling it on as it gets picked up in the history. Not to mention it's probably been really abused etc.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
ianx, manchester - 5/11/2005 8:30 PM

cheapest for me were First Alternative aswell.
tracker not essential.

second cheapest were Liverpool & Victoria - again they didn't give a stuff whether the car had a tracker or not
... sorry, 4got to post, 1st alternative are happy with the standard anti-theft devices, they do not require any additions such as Tracker etc. ...[:)][:D][8D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
I note all of you people are in the UK. Can your car not be "tracked" thru the GPS sytem ala TeleAid or something comparable or is it not available on the SLK there?

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
malibuite - 5/11/2005 9:03 PM

I note all of you people are in the UK. Can your car not be "tracked" thru the GPS sytem ala TeleAid or something comparable or is it not available on the SLK there?
Hi Mal, haven't heard from you for days - missin you already [:I] - in the UK apparently, we don't have anything like TeleAid, but we do have Sat Track for stolen cars - uses GPS, and most of the local Fed traffic cars have a tracker device, so your stolen car, once you know its been nicked and the system activated stands out (digitally!) like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!
I have just checked out the first alternative website.
Good quote, only 420 pounds! (two drivers, no calims in the last 10 years).
Will look up a good GAP quote and forget about tracking.
Good tips here! Thanks again everybody.

P

·
Registered
Caspian Blue SLK350
61 Posts
I didn't realize that the Euro version did not have Teleaid. In the States, I did not receive a discount for having teleaid and its tracking capabilities, God forbid the car got stolen.

Did anyone else get a discount for insurance stateside. I use Statefarm

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
SATedeschi - 5/10/2005 4:04 PM

I didn't realize that the Euro version did not have Teleaid. In the States, I did not receive a discount for having teleaid and its tracking capabilities, God forbid the car got stolen.

Did anyone else get a discount for insurance stateside. I use Statefarm
I have State Farm also and received no discount for Teleaid.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Woolly - 5/10/2005 1:14 PM

malibuite - 5/11/2005 9:03 PM

Hi Mal, haven't heard from you for days - missin you already [:I] - in the UK apparently, we don't have anything like TeleAid, but we do have Sat Track for stolen cars - uses GPS, and most of the local Fed traffic cars have a tracker device, so your stolen car, once you know its been nicked and the system activated stands out (digitally!) like a sore thumb.
Hi, Wool! Been out of town for a few days. The weather has finally turned here so it is hard to stay in. June Gloom will be setting in soon so have to enjoy it while I can[:p]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
Mal

I guess it is State Farm Ins., as I did not activate Telaid because of no discount as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
When I rang to get a quote from my Insurance (Admiral), it made no difference to them whether or not I had Tracker installed. [:O]

I had planned to get it installed this time anyway, but had a conversation with my Parts Manager (Top Bloke) and Mercedes are doing a deal with SmartNav in the UK which uses RAC TrackStar.

So since I did not go for the Sat Nav option, I'm thinking of going down this route. Especially since they have a pay-as-you-go option!! (IE if you need directions you pay for them as and when you need them). [:)]

Plus since SmartNav uses RAC they supposably are able to direct you around heavy traffic or accidents??? [}:)]

My dealer is due to get it installed in their demo car's in June, so will be obtaining one for a try out!!!! [:D]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts