Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. I've read many posts by some of you in addition to watching some of your YouTube videos. Really appreciate the contributions. I'm learning a lot.

I'm trying to track down two main problems. Would appreciate any advice anyone has:

1. Engine is eating oil at a rate of approx 1 quart every 1,000 miles. There are two areas where I can see oil leaks. First one is the one or more of: driver side valve cover / breather box / oil filler neck-- see pic "Fresh Oil Leak". So that is a clear/easy diagnosis, although I'm annoyed as I had all three of these done just 10,000 miles ago. Doesn't seem like they should be leaking so soon. The second area(s) of leaking oil is perplexing-- I cleaned my engine bay as well as I could so I could see where the other leaks are coming from, but I can't find anything fresh up top. When I go under the car, there is fresh oil all over the bottom and dripping onto the frame cross member. There is obvious another leak but after searching all over up top, i can't find where it's coming from. See pics Oil Build Up 1-5.

2. Transmission shifts have a lag / seem sloppy. It happens mainly when I am coasting and then get back on the gas, especially at low speeds-- it doesn't engage smoothly; there is a slight delay and then harsh jerk as the drivetrain engages. I couldn't find anything in the forum that dealt with this. When I was under the car, I noticed the front and rear drive shaft had some given in them-- i could rotate each of them by hand a few degrees or so back and forth, but I'm not sure if this is normal or not. See link to videos

Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
9,496 Posts
That does not look like freshly cleaned engine. Ton of buildup. Picture 05 looks like leak from rear crankshaft seal. But with engine cover removed look behind air pump. There is oil galley plug that if leaking will drip from same area as rear crank seal.

Check transmission fluid level.

Backlash in drive train is normal.

Reactions: fjqasim1

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
7,367 Posts
Your topside engine bay photos in the ML Photo forum, look clean.
These photos dont show what the topside shows - these are somewhat nasty. It's needs a good cleaning for better visual of your issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @Witek_M @khomer2 . I cleaned the top side as best I could. But then crawled underneath and saw all that. I'm going to tackle the underside next weekend. Any suggestions on how I go about doing a THOROUGH cleaning without ruining the electronics? Should I take it to a shop to get it cleaned with steam? Even the top isn't very clean underneath the engine cover-- I was too scared to really get in there with water for fear of getting electrical stuff wet even though I wrapped whatever connections I could see... everything I read suggested I shouldn't get in there with a hose and definitely not a pressure washer

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
9,496 Posts
Avoid water at the top. Kerosene of naphtha. Few cardboard boxes below to catch all the nasty. Then trip to a self serve car wash. Five bucks of coins switch on engine cleaner and hit the bottom.
Rinse, repeat. :)

Reactions: fjqasim1

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your topside engine bay photos in the ML Photo forum, look clean.
These photos dont show what the topside shows - these are somewhat nasty. It's needs a good cleaning for better visual of your issues.
Other than the "Fresh Oil Leak" pic in my original post, I couldn't see any oil on the topside. What I did see all over the place was dry-ish gunk build up. See "topside gunk" pic below-- that layer of grime was everywhere. Still is in places that I was afraid to spray water. That looks to me like it is just accumulated dirt from a prior leak. Second pic shows the same spot cleaned up. I can't reach most other areas so wondering if i just go pressure washer/steam clean route...

Attachments

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
7,367 Posts
A few members posted recently on one of the other forums (w124) about cleaning.
I do the same.
One of these el cheapo pressure sprayers and non-chlorinated brake cleaner (I get mine in bulk, thru my indie colleagues shop - from the drum)
Either on a hoist (which is what I do these days), or get yours up on ramps and got at it, from under.

Never had to use water myself, but only to hose rinse lightly afterwards, underneath.

Steam clean? not for me.
But I'm sure you know, the guy applying his skills to do this, should know his trade (or is this a trade? or a menial-type job)?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
New to the forum. I've read many posts by some of you in addition to watching some of your YouTube videos. Really appreciate the contributions. I'm learning a lot.

I'm trying to track down two main problems. Would appreciate any advice anyone has:

1. Engine is eating oil at a rate of approx 1 quart every 1,000 miles. There are two areas where I can see oil leaks. First one is the one or more of: driver side valve cover / breather box / oil filler neck-- see pic "Fresh Oil Leak". So that is a clear/easy diagnosis, although I'm annoyed as I had all three of these done just 10,000 miles ago. Doesn't seem like they should be leaking so soon. The second area(s) of leaking oil is perplexing-- I cleaned my engine bay as well as I could so I could see where the other leaks are coming from, but I can't find anything fresh up top. When I go under the car, there is fresh oil all over the bottom and dripping onto the frame cross member. There is obvious another leak but after searching all over up top, i can't find where it's coming from. See pics Oil Build Up 1-5.

2. Transmission shifts have a lag / seem sloppy. It happens mainly when I am coasting and then get back on the gas, especially at low speeds-- it doesn't engage smoothly; there is a slight delay and then harsh jerk as the drivetrain engages. I couldn't find anything in the forum that dealt with this. When I was under the car, I noticed the front and rear drive shaft had some given in them-- i could rotate each of them by hand a few degrees or so back and forth, but I'm not sure if this is normal or not. See link to videos

Thanks in advance for any help
nothing here sound the alarm , what i see is normal small seepage considering the age / mileage .at the trans bell housing , rear crank seal , here again , you leave it alone , not a gusher .after a nice drive , long enough , park it on a clean floor , next morning , see what is on the floor , ill bet not much .no market value here , so dont go nut .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nothing here sound the alarm , what i see is normal small seepage considering the age / mileage .at the trans bell housing , rear crank seal , here again , you leave it alone , not a gusher .after a nice drive , long enough , park it on a clean floor , next morning , see what is on the floor , ill bet not much .no market value here , so dont go nut .
you're right. there is never anything on the floor where I park... but I still want to understand the source of the leak and see what I can do within reason to slow/stop it :)

Is it possible that what I see at the bottom towards the back is actually just the oil leak from the filler neck/breather box/valve cover that is dripping down and then getting blown back when I'm driving on the highways?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
you're right. there is never anything on the floor where I park... but I still want to understand the source of the leak and see what I can do within reason to slow/stop it :)

Is it possible that what I see at the bottom towards the back is actually just the oil leak from the filler neck/breather box/valve cover that is dripping down and then getting blown back when I'm driving on the highways?
all those from that vintage look like that .you are not leaking 1 q per 1000 miles , you are eating it .what oil viscosity are you using . there is no reason to play with that , it is normal .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all those from that vintage look like that .you are not leaking 1 q per 1000 miles , you are eating it .what oil viscosity are you using . there is no reason to play with that , it is normal .
0W-40 Mobil 1. Yeah, I figure it's a combination of leaking and consumption. Based on what I read in the forums, seems the community suggests checking/replacing the Air Intake Seal and check/clean the EGR Valve. You saying even those not worth investigating?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
0W-40 Mobil 1. Yeah, I figure it's a combination of leaking and consumption. Based on what I read in the forums, seems the community suggests checking/replacing the Air Intake Seal and check/clean the EGR Valve. You saying even those not worth investigating?
i used to sell TOTAL brand , 5 / 30 , or 5/ 40 .never used mobil 1 . you can pull the engine out , and reseal everything , but is it worth it . nothing on those pictures would make me to take action .up to you .not a easy vehicle to deal with .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts