Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i pulled up the passenger side carpet and removed the rear air vent in my 2003 clk and found a tracking device. i would like to know if others found tracking devices in their mercs and the location. all i did was pull up on the carpet and seen a wire that didn't look factory i pulled up the plastic air vent and under that their was a tracking device installed with a backup battery i bet this is the standard location to install a tracking device in benzes. check it out and let us know your results. pic of the device is attached

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
i pulled up the passenger side carpet on my 2003 clk and found a tracking device
Interesting.... I know my CLK has one somewhere, as I found the tracker certificate in with the car documentation when I purchased it. MB were unable to tell me where it was, saying that it was 'secret'. I'll take a look where you found yours.

Out of interest, was your battery still alive?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
it has a fcc id and a antenna on it that makes it a tracking device :) not sure if the bat is still good im sure it was installed when the car was new so i doubt it its a 6volt batery i will test it somtime soon

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,658 Posts
it has a fcc id and a antenna on it that makes it a tracking device :) not sure if the bat is still good im sure it was installed when the car was new so i doubt it its a 6volt batery i will test it somtime soon
NOT!!. I've got lots of electronics with FCC ID and antenna that aren't tracking devices. One example is a car remote lock. another is a garage door opener. Both have FCC ID, both have antennas, neither are tracking devices.

Also can add my outdoor weather station,

do I sense paranoia???

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,855 Posts
LoJack or whatever they call it suppose to be hidden way better than that.
Than maybe this is part of OnStar communication system?

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
If you bought the car off lease, it may be a tracking device installed by the leasing company. I think it's unlikely Mercedes has installed a tracking device in the car you own. As has been suggested, it may be the transponder for your remote locks or keyless go or some other radio frequency device that is normal equipment for the car.

It's probably not the government.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
MB tracks our cars using the TeleAid system so I'll bet it has something to do with that. Don't forget if we crash and are rendered unconscious they supposedly notify authorities and are able to give them our location. So there has to be some sort of "GPS transmitter" in the car. The 9v battery might be a backup, but who is supposed to change that and when?

·
Registered
37,855 Posts
All laptops have backup batteries from what I read. The life expectancy is 10 years, so nobody worry about replacement. Than our ML320 bought in Sept 98 is still on all original batteries. Son is using only 1 remote and the batteries still work.
From what I know TeleAid and OnStar are cell-based positioning systems. No GPS in them.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
OK Kajtek1, you are probably correct. I have never subscribed to the TeleAid so I know very little about it.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,658 Posts
All laptops have backup batteries from what I read. The life expectancy is 10 years, so nobody worry about replacement. Than our ML320 bought in Sept 98 is still on all original batteries. Son is using only 1 remote and the batteries still work.
From what I know TeleAid and OnStar are cell-based positioning systems. No GPS in them.
Onstar uses GPS, just like 911 does, for determining a cell phone location.

Since about 2004 ALL U.S. cell phones must have a location system in them for 911 and ermergency use. Virtually all, if not all, carriers use a GPS chip set in the phone. The user can choose to let other than 911 know GPS location, usually in the phone setup menu.

CDMA phones have had GPS recievers in them from Day one.

If TeleAid has a cell phone, which I suspect it does, it then also has a very high likelyhood of using GPS as well.

·
Registered
223.168 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,445 Posts
Onstar uses GPS, just like 911 does, for determining a cell phone location.

Since about 2004 ALL U.S. cell phones must have a location system in them for 911 and ermergency use. Virtually all, if not all, carriers use a GPS chip set in the phone. The user can choose to let other than 911 know GPS location, usually in the phone setup menu.

CDMA phones have had GPS recievers in them from Day one.

If TeleAid has a cell phone, which I suspect it does, it then also has a very high likelyhood of using GPS as well.
That isn't exactly accurate. Carriers like T-mobile and AT&T use network based E911 location system (of course many of their handsets have GPS but this is typically not used for E911)

Not all CDMA phones have had GPS support from day one, not even Qualcomm chipset based phones. Today all do and have done for quite a while.

The Tele-Aid comment should be accurate, you can find a GPS antenna splitter from cars that have both GPS and Tele-Aid, the Tele-Aid control unit has an independent GPS receiver from the Navi unit (Tele-Aid probably makes use of cell-based location info too, I'm not familiar with this though).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
the device is lojack. it was hidden very well i think. tel aid is located in the trunk by the spare tire.under the plastic cover with the large flat screws. lojack uses fm frequency by the way not gps, and only one way communication, it is activated through fm and tracked by a receiver in a police car. and by the way onstar is exclusive to gmc cars.

·
Registered
37,855 Posts
I heard about lojack and the whole sale pitch was that is so well hidden, that thieves will not find it for day.
So much for truthful advertisement.
I chat with a guy who had his new MB stolen from Canadian mall parking lot. The police search with lojack 2 hr later brought no results.

·
Registered
2002 CLK430
1,681 Posts
According to page 189 of the 2002 CLK owners manual:

Stolen vehicle tracking services
In the event your vehicle was stolen, report the incident to the police who will issue a numbered incident report. Pass this number on to the Mercedes-Benz Response Center.

The Response Center will then attempt to covertly contact the vehicle’s Tele Aid system. Once the vehicle is located, the Response Center will contact the local Law Enforcement and you. The vehicle’s location will only be provided to Law Enforcement.

The same page states that GPS is used for vehicle positioning.

For you King Leonidas impersonators, I'm just the messenger . . . . .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
unfortunately page 189 of the 2002 CLK owners manual isn't going to work anymore. this is due to the us government buying back all the old analog cellular bands and using them for who knows what reason. the old telaid systems use the old analog network. what a bummer. i believe mercedes will happily install a digital telaid unit in your car for a nominal fee but you still have to pay for the yearly service on top of all that. im not very happy with benz not only do they need to step their game up but offer upgrades at a affordable fee like onstar. they could also sell you the box that would just replace the old one in the trunk but they dont and even if you could get your hands on a new digital box you still need to reprogram the unit with star. no wonder everyone that i know that owns a benz dosnt use or thought of using telaid.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
unfortunately page 189 of the 2002 CLK owners manual isn't going to work anymore. this is due to the us government buying back all the old analog cellular bands and using them for who knows what reason. the old telaid systems use the old analog network. what a bummer. i believe mercedes will happily install a digital telaid unit in your car for a nominal fee but you still have to pay for the yearly service on top of all that. im not very happy with benz not only do they need to step their game up but offer upgrades at a affordable fee like onstar. they could also sell you the box that would just replace the old one in the trunk but they dont and even if you could get your hands on a new digital box you still need to reprogram the unit with star. no wonder everyone that i know that owns a benz dosnt use or thought of using telaid.
Onstar only offer an upgrade if your analog unit was "digital ready". (units built after about 2004) Older analog, non digital ready Onstar unit owner are SOL. GM offers NO program to upgrade those units, your strictly cut off. And,looking at the prices, I'd hardly say onstar upgrade was "affordable" for digital ready units and it requires a annual fee as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.