Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with a friend recently who had ordered a BMW X5. He said that armed with the order number he was able to track the production and shipping progress for the unit over the BMW website. When I asked my saleperson if MB had a similar capability so I could track my SLK350 he was unsure, but thought not. Anyone know of such a system for MB purchases or do I just need to bug my dealer regularly?

It seems to me that this would be a very good thing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It's not a good thing according to MB. The reason? If you have access to the information- it's possible it's hackable- and someone armed with a motive could cause MB and a Dealership a lot of trouble.

NetStar is not HTML...it's a VPN. Meaning the the connection we have to MB is done over a super secure line that is directly linked to MB. Is it secure....yes it is. Is it worth having...depends on who you ask. MB has a bit more peace of mind- where customers, and even the sales force (we all have to use one computer)

MB has no way of a customer to track his or her order once it is placed...You can, however- ask your sales man to, once a week, make a copy of his netstar report and mail it to you. If you need help reading it- let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's not a good thing according to MB. The reason? If you have access to the information- it's possible it's hackable- and someone armed with a motive could cause MB and a Dealership a lot of trouble.

NetStar is not HTML...it's a VPN. Meaning the the connection we have to MB is done over a super secure line that is directly linked to MB. Is it secure....yes it is. Is it worth having...depends on who you ask. MB has a bit more peace of mind- where customers, and even the sales force (we all have to use one computer)

MB has no way of a customer to track his or her order once it is placed...You can, however- ask your sales man to, once a week, make a copy of his netstar report and mail it to you. If you need help reading it- let me know.

I hope you got your car by now - for others looking for a status, go to Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics - worldwide ocean transport, inland services, supply chain solutions, click on the Cargo Tracking option, then track by Auto Cargo, and enter your VIN number in the Cargo ID box. I got a status similar to what you get if you've used the automated tracking facility provided by any of the major courier companies. I guess it depends on what transportation company is being used to ship your car. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I guess it depends on what transportation company is being used to ship your car.
Correctamundo. I contacted the transport company that carried my car and they didn't provide any online service. My MB salesperson was great, though, and provided me with frequent e-mails to update me on my SLK's progress. Was fun to track the journey and just added to the excitement of waiting for my car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
NewMB
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing