Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested to know who has/has not installed tracker.
I was getting it until the dealer revealed there are charges to fit in addition to the £400 in the brochure and £325 subscription for the tracker monitor. Its not a requirement for my insurance so I am not going to bother, its a grand, with the dealer fees for fitting it. If its nicked I have to claim on insurance, and I guess the amount I get back at that point could be an issue... but the benefit of tracker when I can get insurance without it has to be of doubt surely. Thoughts?

·
Registered
S280 SLK350 A200
132 Posts
Hi
I agree entirely. Seems expensive....I thought about it, but my insurance company does not insist on it, and if stolen in first year one gets the new value of the car; I would prefer not to have it back after it has been stolen! I, like you, dismissed it.
cheers Rusper

·
Registered
Mercedes SL350 2009
692 Posts
I had to have it for my insurance company to insure me. It is expensive though.

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
joyfulheart - 2/11/2005 8:01 AM

Interested to know who has/has not installed tracker.
I was getting it until the dealer revealed there are charges to fit in addition to the £400 in the brochure and £325 subscription for the tracker monitor. Its not a requirement for my insurance so I am not going to bother, its a grand, with the dealer fees for fitting it. If its nicked I have to claim on insurance, and I guess the amount I get back at that point could be an issue... but the benefit of tracker when I can get insurance without it has to be of doubt surely. Thoughts?
I had it installed as it was a requirement for my insurance. However, it certainly didn't cost that much even when installed by the dealer. I will check pricing when I get home and let you know costs.

I didn't go for the "continually monitored" service as I had that before and got phone calls at 4 in the morning telling me my car was on the move when in fact it was sat in the drive.

However, I do think trackers nowadays are useless to say the least. I have friends whose bikes/cars have got nicked and were not traced.

In the grand scheme of things it brought my insurance down so I had it installed.

·
Registered
SLK350
24 Posts
The cost is not quite as much as £ 1000.00, even when viewed over three years :

TRACKER Monitor £299.00
Duration of Ownership Subscription £325.00 (annually it is £109.00)
Installation £150.00

TOTAL (inc. VAT) £774.00

If VAT can be recovered and the purchase made through a business these figures become more attractive. Tracker claim a high success rate, but more importantly a rapid one as all 52 police forces are equipped to respond - I guess the point is you should only spend what you are comfortable with and each of us has to take a view on the inconvenience theft would cause.

·
Registered
R171 200K
115 Posts
To insure me fully comp on my 200k would have cost me app £2600 without a tracker monitor. I had it installed and pay app £1600 for insurance . It paid for itself with the first years insurance and will save me considerably more over the next few years. Plus the additional security I guess.

I'm 23 with clean licence and 3 years no claims. Insured with Tesco!

·
Registered
SLK 350 7G
31 Posts
I thought long and hard on this matter and decided to not fit tracker since after speaking with a number of "officers", they advised that i would be "lucky" if they recovered the car.
The next piece of advice, based on the probability that these cars would be be stolen by experienced cons rather than opportunists, supports the first comment that the cons would suspect it was fitted with tracker and would make haste to move it far away to make it highly likely not retrievable.
So this, brings in the insurer, yes, for the first year some policies provide new car replacement, but what about years 2,3, 4? The insurers are wise and do know that you will take very good care of the car in the first year.
This is not rocket science but, the basis of all insurance is probability, so once the first anniversary is over you are left without the "new car" policy and will only receive the value of the car at Glass's list price,( which at the best does not include the vat you initially paid), and which generally does not cover the cost of your expensive optional extras.

The scenario is :- no car [:(] and you needing a minimum of £4 - £5 k just to replace it with the same[:(][:(].

Of course there are new for old policies, but at what cost??

Finally, with tracker, would you really want the car back if some jerk pot had been doing whatever they do in the inside and caning that sweet engine.[:(!]

My advice is to insure yourself to always recive a new car and hope the bobbies dont find the old one.

I opted for a Invoice Gap insurance to "top up" what my insurer would hand out from Glass's and always provide me with a brand new car from years 1 through to 4.

Good to get that extra cost off my chest[:D][:D]

·
Registered
SLK 350
378 Posts
I've got a Tracker Monitor as well, same price as above.

There are a lot of insurance companies that won't even give you the time of day if you don't have one fitted. Others will give discounts.

I thought it was worth putting on.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was a little careless with my numbers, thanks for giving the accurate breakdown.
This year looks taken care of, maybe I can find a cheaper alternative to tracker next year, it would be a complete pisser to get Glasses valuation back from insurance, with no credit for the £6k I spent on extras. According to the Times article quality cars including MB are targeted in London, destined for West Africa I think it was, and never seen again.

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
R171200K - 2/11/2005 12:39 PM

To insure me fully comp on my 200k would have cost me app £2600 without a tracker monitor. I had it installed and pay app £1600 for insurance . It paid for itself with the first years insurance and will save me considerably more over the next few years. Plus the additional security I guess.

I'm 23 with clean licence and 3 years no claims. Insured with Tesco!
Good Grief!?!?!?!

Can I ask where abouts in the country you live!!!! I can't get over that insurance!!!!! [:0]

Do you know I hadn't even thought that the insurance could be that horrendous for the new model. I have a 4 year old R170 200K, I'm 26 with a clean licence, & 6 years no claims, and pay £750 (turning 25 was a nice bonus on my insurance!!) [8D]

I figured that the insurance for a R171 200K wouldn't be that much more, but I'm slightly worried now ... [V]

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well its easy enough to get an online quote, just say the policy starts in the next month and put your details in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts